Tee Ball Introduce Baseball to Younger Children
What is Tee Ball or T-Ball?
Tee Ball is a game that basically introduces boys and girls that are between the ages of 4 – 8 to baseball and softball. There are two teams each consisting of 12 – 20 players. On the field there are 3 bases and a home plate. Players on the field are the same as in baseball, except there isn't a pitcher. The ball is placed on a tee at home plate. Every team member that is up at bats gets a turn to hit the ball off the tee. After all team member have had a turn up at bats the teams switch places. There are usually four innings but some leagues go to six. There are no strikes or walks. The game is played on a smaller field size than baseball, with 50 feet between the bases, making it easier for the children to run around the bases.
Benefits of Playing On A Tee Ball League
- Wonderful exercise for children.
- Beneficial for coordination.
- This is a great introduction for children to learn what it is like to play on a team.
- Children will learn the basic skills needed for baseball such as batting and catching the ball.
- Players learn all about running the bases.
- Children learn to play safely.
Tee Ball Rules
- All players must wear a safety helmet while batting and athletic shoes.
- Players must stay on base until the ball has been hit and is in play. This eliminates stealing bases.
- Each player on the field must have a glove.
- Bats should never been thrown.
- Players are not allowed to run into each other.
- Rules may vary depending on what country you live in or what league you are playing in.
Personal Note from the Author
All three of my sons played on a tee ball league and they had a great time while learning about the basics of baseball. Two of them continued on playing on baseball leagues for six years. It's a great way for children to meet and interact with other children in the city where they live. My sons made friends with many of the players and then later on met up with them in school.
If you have recently moved to a new town or city any type of sport is great for your children and a nice way to meet other parents.
You can check online for tee ball leagues in your area or in your local newspaper.
What You Need to Play T-Ball at Home
Play Tee Ball at Home
Tee ball can be played at any time. You can purchase a tee ball set and play in your own back yard. Before my sons first started tee ball we bought a set to use at home. This way they got to see what it was like before signing up with a league.
Have A Tee Ball Theme Party
Do your children like to play tee ball? A fun party idea is to host a tee ball party. You can either hold this in your back yard or at your local park. State on the invitation that each child needs to bring proper footwear and if they have a helmet to please bring it. If you plan on serving food you could make or order a cake designed like a baseball diamond. Serve hot dogs with all the fixings.
See T-Ball Players in Action
Fun for Children
Has your son or daughter played T-Ball?See results without voting
More by this Author
Find out how to correct biting, chewing jumping, rough play, begging, barking and digging when your dog has behavioral problems.
See how this guy gets his kicks from driving his machine over open water during a very cold winter season. Videos included along with snowmobile safety tips.
In this easy to follow recipe I've added other ingredients to Zatarain's Jambalaya mix to make it go further and feed more people. Pictures included with recipe.