The Most Commonly Overlooked Rules of Golf
Common Rules of Golf
Everybody who plays and even most of those who don't know the common rules of golf, such as play it where it lies, you are only allowed fourteen golf clubs in a bag.
However the rules of golf are pretty complex and reading through them reads like a legally binding contract where by you need three translators, a legal specialist and a linguist versed in latin just understand what is being written.
I have pulled out some of my favourite and most commonly overlooked rules of golf, these could prove to be very useful if you are having a cheeky little side bet with your golf buddy and you need to swing things in your favour. Although don't expect to remain buddies after using them.
Hitting yourself with your own ball = impressive
Don't be the Mary Poppins of Golf
5 of the most commonly overlooked rules of golf
So here are those rules, use them wisely:
- There is no rule against hitting other players on the golf course, but rule 19-2b says that if a golfer will receive a 2 stroke penalty if he hits himself with his own ball. If you have managed this then please comment, I would be fascinated to know how you managed such an impressive feat. Check out Phil Mickelson doing just that in the video
- According to a definition set by USGA, any hole which is made by borrowing animals such as goffers, rabbits etc. are thought of as unusual ground conditions and as such relief is given to the player. However holes and divots made by non borrowing animals, such as dogs, cats are not considered abnormal ground so are not subject to any relief. Be sure to find the culprit before you continue.
- You are not allowed to have someone hold an umbrella over you whilst you are taking a putt, which is subject to a two stroke penalty, this in fact happened in the European PGA tour and the caddy who was responsible is now referred to as Mary Poppins.
- If your ball is teetering over the edge be sure to jump up and down as quickly as possible because if it falls in after the 10 seconds then another shot is added to your score. This happened in the world series of golf in 1998 when a shot fell over the lip 19 seconds and he recorded it without the +1 which meant he was disqualified for signing an incorrect scorecard.
- In 1987 at the Andy Williams Open, Craig Sadler used a towel to kneel on whilst he was taking a shot from underneath a tree, he went on to finished tied for second. However following calls from viewers, they said that he had broken a rule. He should have been awarded a 2 stroke penalty for building a stance, however since he signed an incorrect score card he was disqualified and lost $37000. ouch all for using a towel
There are so many others like not being able to remove morning dew from your balls and if your bunker is filled with water, you may move it but only within the bunker. Some of these rules may come in useful when you are playing your round of golf and the post game drinks are on the line, be sure to have a rule book with you because otherwise they won't believe you.
Golf is a simple game at heart but it has so many rules and regulations that not knowing them can cost you serious money as a professional. But for us recreational players, it's just fun to laugh at the shear comedy in some of these rules. I'll leave you with a couple of videos to make you smile.
Grounding your club in a Hazard
Golf's all about keeping your cool
Remember just do the opposite of Happy Gilmore
Finally if Caddyshack taught us anything, don't play in a storm.
More by this Author
Are you looking for an quick to learn sport with minimal rules, then table tennis may be for you. Table Tennis rules for beginners will take you through the basics so that you are ready to play a recreational game of...
What are the different types of rock climbing holds, how can I make rock climbing holds and many more questions are answered in this article. If you are a climber looking to set up his own wall or new to climbing this...
Famous black women entrepreneurs looks at the latest statistics surrounding black-owned businesses and there are some very surprising findings. It then goes on to show you why the chosen women are so famous and how...