The Best NBA Players of the 90s
The Top NBA Players of the 90s
The 90s was a great decade for basketball the NBA was amazing then. Starting when the 1992 Dream Team was announced at the end of 1991. The team consisted of Charles Barkley, Larry Bird, Patrick Ewing, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Karl Malone, Chris Mullin, Scottie Pippen, David Robinson, John Stockton, Christian Laettner and Clyde Drexler. And a dream team they were. Basketball especially the NBA was at an all time high in the 90s.
There were many skilled players in the NBA in the 90s but the ones that I feel were the absolute tops were (in no particular order):
- 1. Michael Jordan born February 17, 1963 in Brooklyn, New York played for the Chicago Bulls and the Washington Wizards - No need to explain why because he revolutionized the game of basketball.
- 2. Shaquille O'neal born March 6, 1972 in NewarkNew Jersey played for the Orlando Magic, Los Angeles Lakers, the Miami Heat and currently with the Phoenix Suns - Changed the position of center with his versatility and strength.
- 3. Hakeem Olajuwon born on January 21, 1963 in Lagos, Nigeria played for the Houston Rockets and the Toronto Raptors - Dedication to defense and one of the best low post players.
- 4. Scottie Pippen born September 25, 1965 in Hamburg, Arkansas played for the Chicago Bulls, the Houston Rockets and the Portland Trailblazers - The best two man in the game, he could accompany anyone.
- 5. John Stockton born March 26, 1962 in Spokane, Washington played for the Utah Jazz - A floor leader, thought pass before shooting, the true essence of point guard.
- 6. Karl Malone born July 24, 1963 in Summerfield, Louisiana played for the Utah Jazz and the Los Angeles Lakers - Power, grace and speed with an incredible soft touch.
- 7. Alonzo Morning born February 8, 1970, in Chesapeake, Virginia played for the Charlotte Hornets, the Miami Heat and the New Jersey Nets - Intimidation, played above his height.
- 8. Charles Barkley born February 20, 1963 in Leeds, Alabama played for the Philadelphia 76ers, Phoenix Suns and the Houston Rockets - An undersized overachiever a true warrior.
- 9. Reggie Miller born August 24, 1965 in Riverside, California played for the Indiana Pacers - All about the 3's, clutch shooter.
- 10. Dennis Rodman born May 13, 1961 in Trenton, New Jersey played for the Detroit Pistons, San Antonio Spurs, Chicago Bulls, Los Angeles Lakers and the Dallas Mavericks - A workhorse and a great role player.
- 11. Dikembe Mutombo born June 25, 1966 in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo played for Denver Nuggets, Atlanta Hawks, Philadelphia 76ers, New Jersey Nets, New York Knicks and currently for the Houston Rockets - Defensive specialist, dedicated to protecting the basket.
- 12. David Robinson born August 6, 1965 in Key West, Florida played for the San Antonio Spurs - Strength, brilliant basketball mind, dedicated player and great leader.
- 13. Grant Hill born October 5, 1972 in Dallas, Texas played for the Detroit Pistons and currently for the Orlando Magic - Finesse player, fundamentally sound, great on and off court personality.
- 14. Patrick Ewing born August 5, 1962 in Kingston, Jamaica played for the New York Knicks, Seattle Supersonics and the Orlando Magic - Dominating big man, great shooter, great clutch player.
- 15. Dominique Wilkins born January 12, 1960 in Paris, France played for the Atlanta Hawks, Los Angeles Clippers, Boston Celtics, San Antonio Spurs and the Orlando Magic - Incredible scorer, dunker, good defender.
- 16. Larry Bird born December 7, 1956 in Lafayette, Indiana played for the Boston Celtics - Gladiator, great shooter, great leader, great fundamentals, redefined the position.
- 17. Magic Johnson born August 14, 1959 in Lansing, Michigan played for the Los Angeles Lakers - What can you say one of the greatest point guards to play the game, incredible court vision.
- 18. Kevin McHale born December 19, 1957 in Hibbing, Minnesota played for the Boston Celtics - Low post giant, great footwork.
- 19. Isaiah Thomas born April 30, 1961 in Chicago, Illinois played for the Detroit Pistons - Floor leader, great clutch shooter.
- 20. Clyde Drexler born June 22, 1962 in New Orleans, Louisiana, played for the Portland Trailblazers and the Houston Rockets - Good defender, great strength.
- 21. Kevin Johnson March 4, 1966 in Sacramento California played for the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Phoenix Suns - Fast, a true fighter and unselfish, great little man.
These players helped to revitalize the league and gave the world something to watch. The 90s were definitely a time for change in basketball specifically the NBA and these players were a huge part of the success of basketball during this time. There are so many other players that contributed to the NBA in the 90s and I am sure I have overlooked some. There were also a few good players that I just didn't feel comfortable putting on this list but who still deserve some honorable mention like; Shawn Kemp, Gary Payton, Allen Iverson, Tim Hardaway, Chris Webber, Mitch Richmond, John Starks and Penny Hardaway.
Honestly there were so many good players in the 90s its hard not to mention many. But it certainly makes me miss those days when the games was much more exciting because it focused on fun and athleticism instead of the all might dollar and contracts.
Larry Bird Highlights
Michael Jordan 10 Best Dunks
More by this Author
I love dancing. Its fun to do and watch. My favorite type of dancing by far is tap dancing. I have been interested in tap dancing since I was a little girl. Tap dancing is such a lost art form and still some what...
Check out these sexy black ladies. They are talented and sexy and grace our television and movie screens. They are more than just eye candy.
Today many people are looking for work at home job opportunities. This can be very difficult since many work from home jobs are actually scams. How can you avoid the scams and what are real work from home jobs.