What is the Best Type of Shoes to Buy for Jogging
I'm not only an exercise physiologist, I have been running long distance races since I was in grade school. Although I have not competed in any track events, since I graduated from college, currently, I still have been running at least 5 miles, three days per week.
During my years of vigorous training in preparation for track competitions such as the 800 meters, 1500 meters, cross country, and so on, I can recall periodically sustaining injuries that prevented me from competing for several weeks.
While I was pursuing my education in exercise physiology, I learned that two of the main causes of the injuries runners often experience are due to poor jogging shoes, and bad surfaces. I also learned how to select a good pair of jogging shoes, which I will be sharing with you.
The most popular form of aerobic exercise is jogging. Next to walking, it is considered one of the most easiest forms of exercise. However, the risk of injury associated with jogging is far much greater than walking. So as to substantially alleviate such risks, a good pair of jogging shoes is definitely a worthwhile investment, and is highly recommended.
When It's Time to Change Your Jogging Shoes
Joggers often complain of pain originating in the knee, feet and legs. Many of these problems often result from improperly fitting or worn-out shoes. Worn-out shoes should be replaced. It is time to change your jogging shoes when they no longer offer good lateral stability and also when they are obviously leaning to one side when placed on a flat surface. In addition, the shoes should be able to bend at the ball of the foot.
How to Select a Good Pair of Jogging Shoes
When purchasing a pair of jogging shoes for the first time, your shoes should be able to meet several basic criteria. Some of the basic criteria include the following:
- The upper should be made of leather with breathable materials, such as nylon mesh.
- The tongue should be well-padded to prevent abrasion or irritation of the top of the foot.
- For comfort, the toe box should be spacious to allow ample space for the toes.
- Solid or carbon rubber out-soles are excellent.
- The collar should be approximately an inch of rim and made of soft material. This will offer protection to the heel.
- The achilles pad should not be too high, as this will cause irritation to the tendon,or cause blistering.
- The mid-sole which is the principal shock -absorbing feature of the shoe should be made of polyurethethane to offer support and durability.
- For extra stability and support of the heel counter, it is good to pick a shoe with external stabilizer.
- Flared heels are good as this offer good support, and firm heel counter made of durable plastic placed in the heel, assist with stability.
- Inner sole should be able to provide flexibility under barefoot.
Anyone can simply go to the store and buy a pair of shoes for the purpose of jogging; however, not everyone knows exactly how to choose the best jogging shoes, which is understandable, especially when it comes to beginners. For safety, or for the sake of minimizing the common injuries often associated with jogging, it's best that you follow the above guidelines when choosing a pair of jogging shoes.
To summarize, comfort is always one of the first things to consider when choosing any pair of shoes in general. However, when you can walk around leisurely with an ordinary pair of uncomfortably fitted shoes for an entire day, there's no way you will be able to withstand the discomfort you would likely to experience if you were to jog in an uncomfortable pair of shoes for at least 30 minutes.
Your feet simply will not be able tolerate the repetitive pounding on any hard surface or even on grass turf for at least 30 minutes or more each day, if you are not jogging in a good pair of sneakers. Overtime this will definitely lead to some of the most common jogger's injuries.
If you are contemplating going jogging any time soon or it's time for you to change your jogging shoes, try to choose the best pair of jogging shoes.
Parts of the Best Jogging Shoes
More by this Author
Pets, especially dogs and cats are nice to have in your home. However, if you don't have the time t0 train them or to spend with them, this can create a bit of a problem.
There are some surprising health benefits of certain fruits and vegetables that we often overlooked. Some of them are are packed with vitamins, nutrients and other antioxidant properties.
We often find ourselves turning to marriage councilors, or even friends for help with our marriage problems, but how many of us have ever stop to think about the goodness of a simple marriage prayer?
No comments yet.