My Top Games For Week 13 College Football 2011
21 Must See Games of Week 13
1) (Fri.) Arkansas (10-1) at LSU (11-0) - Both teams took care of business last week as LSU beat down Ole Miss in Oxford 52-3 and Arkansas handlel Mississippi State in Little Rock 44-17. A LSU win will give the Tigers the SEC West and a trip to Atlanta to face Georgia in the SEC Championship. But if the Razorbacks can pull of a upset they would force a three way tie in the SEC West between LSU, Alabama and Arkansas. The Razorbacks have beaten LSU 3 of the last 4 meetings with there last win in Baton Rouge came in 2007 when they beat LSU then ranked #1 in the country in triple overtime 50-48. The Tigers ironcially still went on to win the SEC Title the next week and the national title that year as well.
2) Penn State (9-2) at Wisconsin (9-2) - Although these two teams can't play for a national title since there is no playoff in college football! But they will be playing for the Big Ten Leaders division title and play Michigan State in the first ever Big Ten Championship game. The Nittany Lions got a victory over Ohio State last week in Columbus to put themselves in position as they will have to go to Madison where the Badgers haven't loss this season.
3) Virginia Tech (10-1) at Virginia (8-3) - This rivalry game is known as the Commonwealth Cup and this time they are playing for more than just bragging rights. This game wil decide the ACC Coastal division as Virginia got the win they needed last week over Florida State in Tallahasse 14-13 to give them a chance to win the ACC Coastal divison. But they will have to beat there arch rivals who they have lost 7 straight to. The winner will face Clemson in the ACC Championship in Charlotte.
4) Alabama (10-1) at Auburn (7-4) - This is the greatest rivalry in college football in my opinion and now Auburn stands in Alabama's way again just like in 2009. But the situation is a little different this time, especially being that we will already know who won between LSU/Arkansas game since it will be played on Friday. A Alabama win may put them in the national title game or if Arkansas happens to beat LSU it could put Bama in the SEC Championship Game against Georgia. Auburn hasn't lost at home all year but have lost badly in there four road losses (Clemson, Arkansas, LSU, Georgia). Can the Tigers stand up will be the question and finish off what they could not do in the 2009 game in Jordan-Hare Stadium?
5) Notre Dame (8-3) at Stanford (10-1) - The Fighting Irish can salvage this season with a win over Stanford and go to a good bowl game as well possibly a slight chance they could sneak into a bcs bowl. But the Cardinals are looking for a bcs bowl birth as well and a little hope from Oregon State as if they were to upset Oregon, Stanford would win the Pac 12 North division and host the Pac 12 Championship Game. Stanford has won the last two meetings including last year's beat down in South Bend 37-14.
6) Houston (11-0) at Tulsa (8-3) - This game will be for the CUSA West title and the right to host Southern Miss in the CUSA Championship Game. For Houston a win this weekend and a win the next would mean a bcs bowl for the Cougars. But it will not be easy as Tulsa is on a 7 game winning streak after starting the season 1-3 with losses to Oklahoma State, Oklahoma and Boise State.
7) Clemson (9-2) at South Carolina (9-2) - Clemson has lost two of its last three games including a 37-13 lost to NC State last week on the road. The Tigers are already in the ACC Championship Game but now they must face the hated rival South Carolina who miss there chance win the SEC East when Georgia defeated Kentucky last week. Both teams still have much to play for especially Clemson who has a chance to go to a bcs bowl, South Carolina will be playing for a new year's day bowl with a win.
8) Georgia (9-2) at Georgia Tech (8-3) - These two teams don't really like each other in this rivalry game here. In last year's meeting Georgia beat there hated rivals 42-34 to become bowl eligible. This season the Dawgs win the SEC East and are on a nine game winning streak after dropping there first two games of the season. The Yellowjackets will be looking to end a five game losing steak in Atlanta and 9 out of the last 10 meetings against Georgia.
9) Ohio State (6-5) at Michigan (9-2) - A win could salvage a unsucessful season for Ohio State as they five games already this year ('01 was the last time they lost five games). The Buckeyes have dominated the rivalry of late winning seven straight over Michigan. The Wolverines made strides this year and with a win they would finish second in the Big Ten Legends division behind Michigan State.
10) Iowa (7-4) at Nebraska (8-3) - The Cornhuskers found it a little tough in the Big Ten as they went to the Big 12 Championship games in '09 & '10. Last week loss to Michigan knocked Nebraska out of the Big Ten Legends division title race. But the Cornhuskers still have something to play for as they face Iowa who also had been in the Big Ten Legends divison race but loss to two weeks ago, but they did win last week on the road against Purdue.
11) Florida State (7-4) at Florida (6-5) - This rivalry has lost its luster but it is still heated as the Noles can win the state of Florida championship. They have already defeated Miami two weeks ago in Tallahassee. Although they are coming off a heart breaking loss to Virginia last week where Florida State missed a field goal to win the game. Florida on the other hand has had it worst than Florida State this year lossing five games and the best win is over a 5-6 Tennessee team. It will be interesting to see if Florida can pull off the victory cause if they don't this season was total failure in my opinion. Before last week lost to Virginia Florida State had won five games in a row after starting the season 2-3.
12) Baylor (7-3) at Texas Tech (5-6) - Baylor defeated Oklahoma last week in Waco for the first time ever in school history! Now they will face in state rival Texas Tech in Cowboys Stadium in Texas. Texas Tech has lost four games in a row since pulling an upset over Oklahoma in Norman. And last week blew a 27-17 fourth quarter lead to Missouri to lose 31-27. Baylor has lost 15 straight to Texas Tech including last year's 45-38 lost in Cowboys Stadium.
Here are some more top matchups for this weekend.
13) Iowa State (6-4) at Oklahoma (9-2)
14) (Thurs.) Texas (6-4) at Texas A&M (6-5)
15) UCLA (6-5) at USC (9-2)
16) California (6-5) at Arizona State (6-5)
17) Vanderbilt (5-6) at Wake Forest (6-5)
18) (Fri.) Pittsburgh (5-5) at West Virginia (7-3)
19) Tennessee (5-6) at Kentucky (4-7)
20) Ole Miss (2-9) at Mississippi State ( 5-6)
21) Michigan State (9-2) at Northwestern (6-5)
More by this Author
The SEC has won 8 national championship in the last 10 years with Alabama leading the way with 4 titles ('09 '11 '12 '15) , Florida 2 ('06 '08), Auburn 1 ('10) and LSU 1 ('07).
We already think that these teams should compete for championships: Alabama, Clemson, Florida State, Oklahoma, Michigan, Ohio State and LSU. But who will be taking that next step to contend.
No comments yet.