Great Value Fishing Rods: Ugly Stiks
Ugly Stiks have been around for about 30 years now, and have come a long way since the beginning. They are built around the premise of being indestructible. I figure it wasn't too difficult to build an indestructible fishing rod, but the challenge lied within constructing an indestructible rod that still had the sensitivity and fishability of other fishing rods.
A Must Have Fishing Rod
From what I have heard, the early rods were true brutes, designed to man-handle the fish up to the surface. While this is all well and good for certain fishing, they aren't the rod for the job in all situation.
Enter Ugly Stik lite. These rods are not only incredibly tough and durable, but are much more sensitive. Now I know what you're thinking, "Why would I want to buy a fishing rod whose marketing slogan was the same as a condom companies?". Well I hope to answer that question for you.
Check Out The Reviews!
Reasons to choose Ugly Stiks:
- They really are indestructible. Alright maybe if you really, really tried to could break one you could, but its not gonna happen by accident. One time I closed both my front and rear door with an Ugly Stik woven out the rear door and back in through the front door. That's right, it was slammed in two doors at once. And you guessed it, it was fine!
- The tips really are very sensitive. This allows for further casts with light lures including Rapalas and spinners. Also, this allows for effective jigging as you can feel the contour of the water through the rod tip. When using bait, its very easy to notice even the lightest bites.
- They come in all sorts of lengths, actions, and weights. There is a rod designed for just about every application. As much as I would like to own them all, I find that the 7' or 7'6" Ugly Stik lite Medium action 6-15 wt to be about the perfect rod for most freshwater, and some saltwater fishing.
- Inexpensive, especially compared to more expensive brands. I would say hands down that Ugly Stiks are one of the best values in fishing.
- Great "loner" rod. The only thing that excites me more than catching fish is helping other people catch their first fish. Sometimes though, my up-and-coming fishing prodigies treat my gear in a less than gentle manner. Now I just hand them an Ugly Stik. Even if they get angry, throw the rod down, and jump on it, it'll survive. For this reason, even you Lamiglas and Loomis fisherman might benefit from having one around for just this reason.
- Versatile. Can be used to catch a wide variety of fish. Even light-duty rods have the backbone to deal with much bigger fish.
- The Perfect Present! These have always been my go-to gift for all my fishing friends (and girlfriends- probably why I'm single now). Any angler would be glad to unwrap one of these. They even come in pink!!
- Great Warranty!
- Cool Name!
Whether you're are an experience angler or just getting started, Ugly Stiks make a great addition to any fisherman's fishing rod arsenal.
Hilarious Ugly Stik Commercial
More by this Author
When is comes to packable, portable, store-anywhere fishing rods, telescopic fishing rods are tough to beat. Here's are some of the best on the market, including one you've never heard of.
The best fishing poles for backpackers. These rods are the best combination of packability, durability, and fishability.
Spinner fishing tips and secrets to give you an extra edge on the water. Follow these and you're guaranteed to catch more fish!