What reasons for goals in football matches?
As the World Cup fills minds and as the game of Football ever increases in popularity via Television wordwide have you ever thought just what are the reasons for Goals being scored?
Back in 1966 England hosted and won the World Cup. A visionary called Charles Hughes accessed all the footage and spent hours analysing the reasons why goals are scored.
That no one had done this before in an unemotional and analitically clinical manner is to be wondered at but maybe there were not then the facilities, nor the interest in so doing. That in the modern age so few now understand the real reasons why goals are scored is a mystery, especially that Hughes produced a book and a set of films to confirm his findings
He used utilitarian thinking to strip out emotion that fuels most of the game and it"s appeal to produce once and for all fact on the most important aspect of the game.
Now anyone can, via playback TV become their own analyst and after years of so doing I have found nothing to alter the findings of Hughes that there are just 5 reasons why goals are scored in any match at any level.
So check these out if you will and be ahead of the debate in the pub or stands.
Goals are scored because:
1. The player with the ball is not pressured by an opponent and can thus look up to see around him for options.
2. The pressuring player is not supported at the correct angle or distance by a colleague.
3. Opponents running at the defence are not tracked back and down by opponents.
4. The defending team gives the ball away to an opponent in their defensive third of the field.
5. Set Plays are awarded in the final third of the field. Automatically, reason i is brought into action as defenders have to be the eqivalent of 10 yards from the ball.
As I said, analitical and not exciting on the page but feel the hairs on your neck rise when you watch games with these in mind and pay due homage to Charles Hughes, the discoverer. An Englishman and well ahead of his time.
More by this Author
Arthritis is a scourge that affects so many people worldwide. There is seemingly no cure. However, use of copper has long been said to offer relief. Now a very cheap way of using copper has arrived.
No comments yet.