Why Football Is Stupid
A Different Opinion
I realize that I am swimming against the current of common consensus when I express such a divergent view. But if there is room for all in this great wide world of ours, and if I may make so bold, I will tell what I really think on the matter.
Injuries: What For?
Football injures people. Lifelong brain and knee injuries are commonplace among players. I find similarity between sending gladiators to fight lions (or each other) for the mere sport of observing the fight. I don't like to see people hurt. If they were hurt in the line of duty defending their country or fighting crime, I might say they were heroes. But they are getting hurt while doing no real good. They hurt each other for "sport". The oldest definitions of sport include frolic, activity engaged in for amusement, or an active diversion. I think organized sports are more about money than fun. I think we have gotten carried away. I would much rather see these fine young players doing something that is good for them and good for the nation.
Other Causes Worth Our Time, Funds, and Energy
I can think of at least a dozen other activities that would harm no one and would help our country grow strong:
- building new libraries
- fixing the roads and paving any not yet paved
- funding new orchestras and composers
- creating new science centers for young learners
- creating and funding math centers to promote higher math education
- funding a new art center in every city where anyone can come in and paint for free
- funding and fixing the homeless shelters
- funding and fixing the animal shelters
- building creative writing centers with free attendance
- building free gymnasiums where people can exercise for health
- increasing our police force
- building more training centers for dogs that help the blind, the deaf, and the otherwise differently abled
I would challenge others to think of better ways to spend our money and our life minutes.
The Backyard Game
In back yards an occasional sports game may foster sportsmanship and healthful recreation. But there are versions of football such as flag football where people don't get hurt. And there are many other sports in which people are hurt much less often: baseball and soccer boast fewer injuries and require more mental engagement. If we must have sports, let us not get so carried away, and let us care more about the players by all means.
That's my opinion, and thank you for listening.
More by this Author
Dogs communicate with signs. Human beings can learn to speak with their dogs using canine sign language. People can converse with pets!
Is selling Avon right for you? Read this hub and find out.
Every plot needs complications and conflicts. They are what make a story live and breathe. They are what set it apart from other forms of literature.