Yogi Bear Campsites
The Real Jellystone Park
If you are a fan of Yogi Bear, you might be thinking of taking your family on Jellystone themed vacation. There are 70 different Jellystone campgrounds in the United States. Unfortunately, almost all of these places are Jellystone in name only. These campgrounds use the Jellystone name for advertisement, but the only thing that is Jellystone about them is a sign and a 20 foot tall Yogi Bear figure at the front office. Other than an occasional decoration or two, you would never associate the place with Yogi Bear or Jellystone. Most of these places are geared more for adults than children. So if you want to spend some quality time with your child, then where should you go? Which is the real Jellystone park winner?
The Real Jellystone Park
I checked out over 70 places and the clear winner is Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park in Luray, Virginia. I looked for a second and third place winner, but none even came close. If you are looking to spend some quality time with your young children, then this is the number one place. When you arrive, you will still be greeted with the 20 foot tall Yogi Bear. The difference however, is the atmosphere. Here you will really feel that you are at Jellystone. There are decorations galore and the staff, which includes a Yogi Bear mascot, is there to help you out with your children. Amenities include:
- Basic campsites & RV hookups starting at $48 basic to $69 deluxe
- Cabins starting at $55 basic to $130 luxury
- Boo Boo playroom, swing sets, Jumping Pillow, and playground (all free)
- Planned activities by a full time staff (free)
- Laser Tag, Miniature 8 hole golf course, pedal boats, and water slide (age 5+ only) are available. These require a $10 wrist band that is good for all activities for one day.
- 3 different swimming pools (free)
- Wagon Rides (free)
- BBQ grills (free),
- Laundromat (requires quarters)
- Snack Shop for getting a quick hamburger or hot dog.
- Convenience Store where you can buy necessities.
- Stocked fish pond - no license needed - and it's free!
- Game room: Billiards, Video Games, Air Hockey and more (buy tokens)
- Handicap facilities including a golf cart available for rental, or is included with the luxury cabin.
- Special events each year from late April till early November. Check calender for details.
- Local attractions include the Luray Caverns (absolutely gorgeous).
For more information and trip planning, you can go to their website here.
More by this Author
The life and death of Yogi Yogi Bear.
Quality of life for the homeless population varies from state to state. Here is the best state that I found to be homeless in.
In 2007, I started a computer store with $3000, hard work, determination and a knack with computers. Within a year, I grew from almost nothing to a very successful store. Pictures show my growth.