grumpiornot profile image 88

What is the point of playing sport if there are no winners or losers?

I've recently heard that schools have sports days in which prizes are awarded to all children, just for taking part. What is the point of that? Children need to learn that in life, there are winners and there are losers... in college, sport, life, business. Surely, it is better that kids are prepared for this reality, rather than brushing the harsh reality under the carpet?

MickS profile image76

MickS says

• Garifalia 4 years ago

Dearest friend, were hubpages to take away your badges, would you stop writing? I dare say no. You would continue to write for the love of it. It would not take away your drive or desire, would it?

mikejhca profile image86

Michael H (mikejhca) says

• grumpiornot profile image

grumpiornot 4 years ago

What do you think of my comment to hucklebury below? Not repeating the whole comment so hub doesn't get funny with me...

IDONO profile image83

IDONO says

• grumpiornot profile image

grumpiornot 4 years ago

I agree, but have had painful experiences at losing sports. Those times taught me lessons, just as much as winning had other lessons.

Rosana Modugno profile image84

Rosana Modugno says

• grumpiornot profile image

grumpiornot 4 years ago

It seems there must be a way to make it less harsh for the losers. But that softness cannot overlook reality and shelter kids.

Real life lessons can be learned through sport, and sometimes, those lessons will hurt a bit.

• grumpiornot profile image

grumpiornot 4 years ago

I wonder to what degree the coaches of younger kids have grown more responsible, especially for the less successful, reluctant sportspeople are.

I imagine that some kids want to just enjoy, while others want to compete. Room for both types?

0

huckelbury says

• grumpiornot profile image

grumpiornot 4 years ago

Possibly the less sports-inclined kids can enjoy the game, while the natural athletes can be tested against each other.

Should coaches play a role in this by selecting which kids follow which route?

0

Garifalia says

• MickS profile image

MickS 4 years ago

Yes, aspects of learning are learning how to be competative and in so doing learning the laws of how things are done without cheating, competivness does not mean win at all costs.