jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Is it justifiable to call industrial action to affect Olympic events?

1. CyclingFitness profile image91
    CyclingFitnessposted 4 years ago

With the PCS Union calling a strike the day before the London 2012 Olympics within immigration staff can this be justified or will the union risk an extreme backlash of public opinion?

1. michifus profile image87
      michifusposted 4 years ago in reply to this

This kind of strike is intended to cause maximum disruption, and for that, they can expect maximum backlash.

2. Alaxia profile image61
      Alaxiaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Anyone is allowed to strike at anytime and causing backlash is often one of the aims; a one in eight in favor vote is dodgy ground however and it may be internal rather than external backlash they need to consider more.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 4 years ago

Yes, it is justified. Home Office workers are facing redundancy, pay cuts, staff shortages, pension cuts and more. While Teresa May talks about strike action "ruining peoples enjoyment of visiting the city" She clearly lives in a parallel universe where people who talk about the enjoyment of the Olympic games are clearly not suffering the same hardship as others. Opps..sorry, I said Olympics and I'm not a sponsor!

1. CyclingFitness profile image91
      CyclingFitnessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

When 1 in 8 workeers have voted for strike action should it really be justifiable to strike?

In personal terms the Olympics is the most important sporting event in the world and spoiling it will lead to an immense backlash.

From what i've seen the conditions for public sector workers in terms of pay and conditions are better than those outside the sector and realistically feel it's a degree of arrogance on the part of the workers. I worked in education for a period and found that the ease of them going on strike over petty issues.

I don't particularly like Teresa May myself but do agree that immigration workers can seriously ruin a persons enjoyment of the Olympics. And that could lead to decreased tourism revenue in future which will affect jobs and income.