jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (13 posts)

Michael Phelps didn't even medal in the 400

1. MountainManJake profile image88
    MountainManJakeposted 4 years ago

How do you feel about that? Will he ever compete in the Olympics again after this?

2. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

I feel like he lost his focus (which he admits) and didn't train hard enough or long enough between Beijing and London.
    Definitely off his stride today.
    But tomorrow's another day.
    This will likely be his last Olympics.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image84
    Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago

In the Olympics nothing is set in stone. People can't be expected to win gold.
    His team mate Lochte on the other hand was great... he might be sweeping some medals.

4. JBrumett profile image60
    JBrumettposted 4 years ago

Have to remember no matter how hard you train your bodies age catches up at some point.  Never the less the guys a winner by nature.  He's won almost two dozen medals if I remember.  So, I'm sure he'll get something out of sheer will-power even if he can't keep up with the younger athletes.

5. prettydarkhorse profile image65
    prettydarkhorseposted 4 years ago

He has been there for three Olympics, must be getting tired and little bit old and all plus he reached his highs already, I think so.

6. Sawfishlagoon profile image60
    Sawfishlagoonposted 4 years ago

He didn't train well according to his coach. Maybe he wasn't hungry enough. It is still a good experience to compete.

7. Tricia Hein profile image61
    Tricia Heinposted 4 years ago

I think he has stated that this will be his last Olympic Games. Younger newer athletes probably trained better than him, and are probably in better shape, maybe just because they are younger.

1. Sawfishlagoon profile image60
      Sawfishlagoonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

He has been partying down. Who can blame him. He was a lower middle class kid from Baltimore. Now he is rolling in dough.

8. peeples profile image89
    peeplesposted 4 years ago

I don't think it's a big deal. After all these people are good enough to make it to the olimpics and that in itself is great.

9. prettydarkhorse profile image65
    prettydarkhorseposted 4 years ago

he will be holding the most number of medals if he wins 3 more smile

10. MountainManJake profile image88
    MountainManJakeposted 4 years ago

Michael Phelps only trained for 9 months for that event.  Do remember that he said he would never swim again?  Well his family convinced him to reconsider.

11. cyoung35 profile image86
    cyoung35posted 4 years ago

This is a mental sport as well as a physical one and I think he is not in it mentally. He may get a medal or two but I definately don't think he will be as dominant as he has in the past. This will be his last Olympics as the younger ones are coming up in the ranks.

12. agilitymach profile image99
    agilitymachposted 4 years ago

cyoung and I agree.  As a competitive athlete myself, I know the "buzz words" to look for in an athlete's interviews to know if their mental game is on or not.  In last night's interview, Phelps showed his mental game isn't just a bit off - it's way off.  All of the negative buzz words were there.   Gone were the positive sign buzz words that showed his mental game was at it's peak.

Lochte, on the other hand, showed some great mental management in his interview.

Swimming is a detail sport.  Aside from becoming strong, every little detail makes your body more stream lined.  Sports requiring lots of detail also require rock hard mental management from it's participants to be successful.

I think this will be Phelp's last Olympics.  He's lost the fire to work his mind and body to the required level.