jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Do you Support the NFL Referees' Strike?

1. scmom61 profile image59
    scmom61posted 4 years ago

I would like to know peoples' thoughts on this.  Why or why don't you support them?

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

I support their right to strike.  i don't know enough about the specific problem to say how justified it is.

3. jcales profile image75
    jcalesposted 4 years ago

from what I know, the part-time refs who make $150k a year but work just 5 months of the year want pensions on top of their pay. So the owners are holding out on that request. Since, the owners make 100s of millions  a year, I don't see why they can't offer the refs nice year end bonuses based on their accurate calls. Get the high school and community college refs out of there!!

4. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image83
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 4 years ago

The NFL is a gold mine and the regular referees just want a few golden nuggets. This Green Bay/Seattle fiasco looks like the final straw that finally got the negotiations moving. It sounds like it might be resolved before this weekend's games.

Pension benefits apparently has been one of the major hurdles. A $3 million issue as I understand it. One franchise QB makes 10 times that much. Duh.

I also understand that some estimates are that as much as $1 billion dollars changed hands on that one last play in the Packers @ Seahawks game.

Somebody is going to join Jimmy Hoffa if this doesn't get done real soon.

5. scmom61 profile image59
    scmom61posted 4 years ago

Over the years I have noticed that employee-owned companies and companies who value their workers, get what they pay for.  I feel that if a company (in this instance, the NFL) is doing well financially and they share that success with their employees, they will be rewarded from the inside.  It's a win-win situation; all parties can be happy.  Even the stock holders will benefit with continued profits and continued stock price hikes.

6. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image83
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 4 years ago

Well, that sure got settled quickly, now didn't it. The regular refs are back tonight for the Clowns @ Ratbirds game.

So all it took was a game that almost all football fans saw where the outcome was decided by the refs and not the players.

7. jcales profile image75
    jcalesposted 4 years ago

That one Packers/ Seahawks plays cost $150 million dollars. Although, the real refs are back and may not blow calls as much as the lingerie league refs, they did leave a bad taste in my mouth from the Steelers / Seahawks superbowl and one other. I thought it was fixed. so did some Seahawk players. I could care less who won but just like to see fair referreeing.
    Even John Madden saw the phantom holdings calls & non pass-interference calls change the outcome. Maybe that factored into his retirement from broadcasting. There was one other super bowl too. The last few have been officiated fine though.