jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (16 posts)

Manti Te'o used his pretend girlfriends death to help his career.

1. NotPC profile image61
    NotPCposted 4 years ago

How do you hubbers feel about this?

2. The Suburban Poet profile image80
    The Suburban Poetposted 4 years ago

I'm pretty numb to lying these days but I've read enough in the last hour to believe that Te'o was lying. His statements don't add up. Then you have the press release from Notre Dame and it appears they have chosen to help cover it up.

1. NotPC profile image61
      NotPCposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I know! Crazy right!? You'd think he would take a lesson from Mr. Armstrong... Who ironically is presumed to admit his doping scandal lies tomorrow on Oprah.

3. The Suburban Poet profile image80
    The Suburban Poetposted 4 years ago

Notre Dame conducted a press conference and are basically saying it was 100% an online relationship and he never met her in person.

1. NotPC profile image61

Ya he definitely never met "her" in person...

4. psycheskinner profile image79
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

We don't really know what happened.

5. Astra Nomik profile image81
    Astra Nomikposted 4 years ago

Didn't Gil Grissom on CSI always say follow the evidence? People make suppositions and try turning them into facts. We should wait until we know the facts first.

Many hoaxes are perpetuated daily on Twitter. Twitter accounts are broken into all the time. I have received hoax tweets from some hubbers who didn't know their accounts were "taken over" by other parties till they were told to stop sending hoax tweets or links to malware sites.

6. tsjune28 profile image61
    tsjune28posted 4 years ago

in this case, regardless teo is guilty.  Whether he knew or not, when he found out he continued to play along with it.  He only admitted it when he was caught typical jerk

1. NotPC profile image61

Totally. I just saw a news article saying he found out about the girl being fake in December but just kept playing along. I wouldn't be surprised if he changes his story later to say he actually found out earlier. He and Lance Armstrong should start a club!

7. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago

How exactly did it help his career?

1. The Suburban Poet profile image80
      The Suburban Poetposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Until this news broke he was seen as a very sympathetic figure and received much publicity which elevated his profile. He was invited to New York to attend the Heisman Trophy ceremony and the idea that he had overcome a dual-tragedy was driving this.

8. psycheskinner profile image79
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

It is also possible he was duped and slow to admit it out of embarrassment.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image65
      prettydarkhorseposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I agree. :- )

9. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago

But, what is important is if he can play football and I have heard people say he is a great player. He probably would have been invited anyway. But I did hear it was to help him win the trophy, which he didn't win.

Lance Armstrong cheated in his sport, Manti Te'o did not.

1. The Suburban Poet profile image80
      The Suburban Poetposted 4 years ago in reply to this

All true. All true.... it's just a bizarre situation and people felt a bit sucked in but if he was truly duped then he just needs to grow up a bit; some of if though is hard to believe.

10. jeolmoz2 profile image56
    jeolmoz2posted 4 years ago

I don't know exactly how it helped his football career, but riding the empathy train sure got him lots media coverage. I think it also shows how much of a creep he is....using somebody's death, fake or real, to get attention shows a real bad character flaw
    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7664697_f248.jpg

working