jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Which Is The Greatest NFL Team Of All Time?

1. PhoenixV profile image80
    PhoenixVposted 3 years ago

Which Is The Greatest NFL Team Of All Time?

1. Tim Quam profile image74
      Tim Quamposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I assume you're talking about for a single season.  If that's the case I would say the 1972 Dolphins, who were a perfect 17-0 including the postseason.  It's true they had an easy schedule, but imagine losing your starting quarterback, in their case Bob Griese, for nine regular-season games and a game and a half in the playoffs.  You might be able to overcome such a hardship, but go unbeaten?  Miami did it with a great defense and a strong running game.  They were the first team in history to have two 1,000-yard rushers in the same season in Larry Csonka and Mercury Morris.  As far as the quality of schedule — they didn't play another playoff qualifier in the regular season — despite having a perfect record they had to go to Pittsburgh for the AFC Championship game.  And if they were overrated thanks to a soft schedule they proved themselves by staying perfect in the postseason.

2. Shawn Scarborough profile image82
      Shawn Scarboroughposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It is difficult to compare teams from different eras, so I think it is nearly impossible to pick one greatest team of all time.  I would say the top ten teams since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970 listed in chronological order are:
      1971 Dallas Cowboys
      1972 Miami Dolphins
      1976 Oakland Raiders
      1978 Pittsburgh Steelers
      1985 Chicago Bears (the best defense in NFL history)
      1986 NY Giants
      1988 San Francisco 49ers
      1989 San Francisco 49ers
      1992 Dallas Cowboys
      1999 St. Louis Rams

3. EJ Lambert profile image92
      EJ Lambertposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I know people will jump right to the '72 Dolphins because they went undefeated but I personally believe the '89 49ers were so much better.  They had Hall of Fame talent all over the place including Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lott, and one who I think is going in sooner or later in Charles Haley.  They were so good that it was almost unfair to watch sometimes.

2. Zelkiiro profile image84
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago
  3. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 3 years ago

Steelers smile