jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Should An Injured Pro Be Tweeting Coaching Strategies?

1. SoManyPaths profile image60
    SoManyPathsposted 3 years ago

Specifically To His Teammates During the Game?

I am talking about Kobe doing this while the Lakers are playing a game. He'll tweet during the game to his teammates and they get it at halftime or receive a phone call at the half. I find that highly disrespectful to the coach and coaching staff.
    What if Jeter did that during a Yankee game?
    What if Ray Lewis or Tom Brady did that?

and without the coaches approval?  I know these people are elite athletes in their sports. I just wanted some input on this as it could become a trend or is just not trusting the coach.

Basically, it is kind of like a co-worker telling another worker what to do by phone or tweeting instructions to a software guy, thereby overstepping the bosses orders. Although, I think he (Kobe and the team) went their own way mid-season when they were losing and just changed how they would win games vs the head coaches style. So, it could be just that.

NOTE: Kevin Ware did not do that during Louisville NCAA championship run. He was there with the team and may have had some input. I think if Kobe wants to do that he should be "there" because his tweets or calls may be going against the head coach and asst coaches and even upper mgmt who sometimes tells the coach how to do play certain players.

2. weezywade22 profile image61
    weezywade22posted 3 years ago

I believe that Kobe's tweeting about in-game adjustments and strategies frustrated head coach Mike D'Antoni after the Lakers' loss, but I don't think it affected the players at all. Also, Kobe would be at the games if he could. He can't fly at the moment because it could cause swelling.

3. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

It seems to me that the coach can determine whether the players refer to twitter during the game.

4. SoManyPaths profile image60
    SoManyPathsposted 3 years ago

@weezy, So, I guess he'll be at the home playoff game then. swelling for an achilles tendon tear? I thought it was limited to ankles. Heck, his doctors know better than me.

5. weezywade22 profile image61
    weezywade22posted 3 years ago

He's in a walking boot now, so I guess it's possible. Yeah, I don't know why it'd cause swelling, but that's the reason he gave on Twitter..