jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

Do Sports Stars Deserves their Extremely High Wages?

1. adambarker97 profile image88
    adambarker97posted 3 years ago

Here in England, people complain that Football(Soccer) stars make too much money, while nurses and armed forces are underpaid. I noticed last night while watching NBA, some of the highest earners there were making $16million+, eclipsing wages of even Football's Greats. I understand WHY they get paid so much, because they provide entertainment for millions of people. Fans who pay to watch sports BECAUSE of those stars, but what are your thoughts on this?

1. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image85
      BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Floyd Mayweather Jr. just made at least $32 million for one night''s work, this past Saturday. Not too long ago he spent time in jail for domestic battery involving his girlfriend. Everybody knows Mike Tyson's story and all the millions he made and the time he spent in prison for rape.

Hey, I have an idea, for starters. When these athletes who make millions break the law, they should be fined an amount based upon their earning capacity. I can think of numerous worthy causes that would welcome the money.

2. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I don't really understand why they get paid that much!
      What does it say about America in general that we value entertainment to that degree?.......
      That we "worship" people like that isn't good for us,  and it places undue pressure on them too.

3. 0
      Motown2Chitownposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Absolutely not.  IMO, the only people who really deserve that much money are people like firefighters, police officers, teachers, nurses and other child care workers.  Pay them well, that's fine...but remember two things:  first they play a game for a living (yes, a game that requires skill and dedication, but a game nonetheless) and second they get paid to do something they absolutely love to do.  If they didn't love it, they wouldn't do it.  Paying a basketball (football, hockey, baseball) player millions of dollars a year while we pay a child care worker minimum wage and deny them benefits is deplorable in my opinion.  It isn't about money - it's about what we value as a society.  The first and most important concern of any society should be the care and welfare of its people, young, old, and in-between.