jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Who is the best athlete in sports history?

1. lesliebyars profile image76
    lesliebyarsposted 3 years ago via iphone

It comes down to a few names to me.... It's between Michael Jordan and Muhammad Ali. What is your take in this subject?

1. Ralph Deeds profile image69
      Ralph Deedsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

That's an unanswerable question. Babe Ruth, Jim Thorpe and Joe Louis, Serena Williams and quite a few others also deserve consideration.

2. PhoenixV profile image78
      PhoenixVposted 3 years ago in reply to this
    3. 0
      Deepes Mindposted 3 years ago in reply to this

That is a difficult question to answer. You have too many variables to consider including certain factors like awards, length of time played, etc

2. CyclingFitness profile image90
    CyclingFitnessposted 3 years ago

Would you really class babe Ruth as an 'athlete'. Great hitter but in the athlete term I'd hard to compare him to anyone who made real efforts in sports.

3. 0
    Beth37posted 3 years ago

Michael Jordan. smile

4. Alphadogg16 profile image87
    Alphadogg16posted 3 years ago

I have to agree with CyclingFitness......you cant really class Babe Ruth as an "athlete". I would have to go with Bo Jackson or Deion Sanders....they actually excelled in more than one sport.

1. 0
      Beth37posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Well if 'more than one sport' is the classifier, why wouldn't we choose a triathlete or an Olympian?

5. Alphadogg16 profile image87
    Alphadogg16posted 3 years ago

@Beth37....If there is a Triathlete that dominates the sport, say like Lance Armstrong dominated cycling, most definitely. I'm just not familiar with any of them. Most Olympians do multiple events of the same sport.

6. S.Graveson profile image79
    S.Gravesonposted 3 years ago

Right now Ashton Eaton looks to be coming through as something VERY special. Won the Olympic gold in decathlon by a mile, smashed the world record in the process and will likely only get better over the next few years. He's 21 years old and a bit of a multi-sport monster.

Of course you have guys like Jessie Owens who in there day were incredible. Carl Lewis was another who had the ability to compete in so many things (and things away from the track).

I wouldn't try to use Eddie Eagan to actually answer the question but he won Olympic medals in boxing AND in the 4-man bobsleigh O_o