Clevland Browns starting quarterback Johnny Manziel or Brian Boyer?

1. Sam Tumblin profile image42
    Sam Tumblinposted 2 years ago

With all the early hype and drama and signing of Money Manziel for the Clevland Browns, does he deserve the starting job? Tell me what you think. Hoyer versus Money Manzeil?

1. Dan Boehlen profile image59
      Dan Boehlenposted 23 months ago in reply to this

You may not believe me, hind sight being 20/20 and all, but had I seen this 2 months ago I would have replied the same way.  Despite getting picked in the 1st round and paid the millions that come with that designation Manziel was far from a "start him right away" pick.  He is best served right where he is, on the bench learning behind a veteran.  Brian Hoyer is not Tom Brady, and likely never will be; however, he has decent mobility, a strong arm and is smart with the football.  He won't lose you games and, unlike Kyle Orton, is capable of actually winning them.  Coming out of a pro-style offense @ Michigan State and then learning behind Brady he is the obvious choice, and obvious does not always mean wrong. 

Manziel is immensely talented.  Its too bad he didn't spend 3 years in a college program which taught him the fundamentals of playing Pro football by being in a Pro-Style offense.  Taking snaps almost exclusively from the shotgun at Texas Tech he didn't need to work on his drops (3 step, 5 step, 7 step) play action passes with your back to the defense.  Reading a defense after your back has been turned for 1.5 seconds.  Reading the entire field and moving to your 4th & 5th progressions.  These are all skills needed to be highly successful at the NFL level.  They're also skills typically lacking in QBs coming out of spread offenses in college.  What you normally get are guys who can only read half the field and who take off running after their 1st or 2nd read is covered.  They expose themselves to too many hits and don't last long.  RGIII lit the NFL on fire...until he busted a wheel and had to be a more traditional QB.  Kaepernick ran all over the packers in the playoffs and almost won a super bowl, but now defenses have a better idea how to contain the read option and he has to be an actual's not going so well.  These are the most successful of spread style QBs to enter the NFL.  Spread offenses are great for wide receivers and offensive linemen, not great for RBs and absolutely terrible for QBs. 

Yes, the Browns made the right choice starting Hoyer.  Give Manziel a chance to learn to be a pro might not matter, but its the only chance he has.

2. Sam Tumblin profile image42
    Sam Tumblinposted 23 months ago

Nice reply my friend, I agree with Hoyer has surprised me as of late. Personally like you said Manziel does need to get some experience "NFL".
    Thanks for post!