jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (12 posts)

Can England win the football World Cup?

1. TravelMonkey profile image60
    TravelMonkeyposted 7 years ago

Taking place next year, do you think its possible?

2. Mark Knowles profile image61
    Mark Knowlesposted 7 years ago

Not a hope in hell. Last time was 1966 and they still play that match on TV. big_smile

3. countrywomen profile image77
    countrywomenposted 7 years ago

My Dad has always been a fan of the Brazil team(right from the days of Pele) and my brother prefers Germany (although his favorites keep changing). Since India even if it qualifies to participate in the world cup would be a dream for a Billion people(so the next best thing I can do is root for another team). Personally all the awesome Brits I have met in person and here at hub pages (especially LondonGirl and Sufi) makes me root for England. smile

1. Paraglider profile image90
      Paragliderposted 7 years ago in reply to this

This is America's year lol

1. Junkster profile image60
        Junksterposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Buying David Beckham doesn't mean he plays for the USA lol

I'd obviously like England to do well, not be a national embarrassment as they have been in the past, but a lot of footy fans over here are more worried that international games are more liekly to end up injuring their team's star players.  Hence all these managers trying to ban them from playing.

Oh and that new England shirt is god awful! big_smile

4. Raven King profile image61
    Raven Kingposted 7 years ago

Sorry. No.

5. TravelMonkey profile image60

I think they have a good chance but as England do time after time, they will build everyone's hopes up but then let us down.

6. Junkster profile image60
    Junksterposted 7 years ago

Decent socreline but I only watched the first half.  As usual it's a case of three stand out players playing out of their skin (Rooney, Lennon, Gerrard) with a bunch of wasters everywhere else, mostly midfielders/defenders booting it forward for no reason, and to no one.

Good to see Peter Crouch breaking out the crap dance moves though

7. TravelMonkey profile image60

Crouchy has a fantastic record for England and I would play him all the time if I was in charge. Walcott coming back into the team is also very exciting. Hopefully we can build on this very good start we've had and keep on improving.

8. 60
    sportsfan22posted 7 years ago

England beat Ukraine 2-1,but the performance last night was average.

This is my opinion on the English players yesterday.

Wayne Rooney

Ashley Cole

With such a performance last night even reaching the quarter finals in the World Cup will be a distant dream.

They need to improve drastically when the world cup starts.

9. Junkster profile image60
    Junksterposted 7 years ago

Totally agree with you there sportsfan22, As much as I hate the guy Rooney doesn't half give it all in international games, and keeps that temper in check too amazingly.

They definitely didn't show the class that the sum of those players should have though, hopefully this will come with time and experience of eachothers playing style.  Also I agree with Crouch as a good choice, he'd be on every game for me too, potentially with a smaller, quicker striker too (think Michael owen circa 1998 lol)

10. footynut profile image60
    footynutposted 7 years ago

I think they can win it. On paper they have as good a team as any in the world. They do lack a world class striker to play upfront with Rooney but if you look at the other players in their team they should have a great chance. Luck plays a big part in these competitions and if things go their way I think they can do it!