jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

"South African teen wins 800 meters despite GENDER-TEST FLAP"

1. fishskinfreak2008 profile image33
    fishskinfreak2008posted 7 years ago

The first 2 sentences of this article are "Facing questions about her gender, South African teenager Caster Semenya easily won the 800-meter gold medal Wednesday at the world championships. Semenya’s dominating run came on the same day track and field’s ruling body said she was undergoing a gender test because of concerns SHE does not meet requirements to compete as a woman". One of the first things kids learn about themselves is their gender. If Caster Semenya, WHO IS A TEENAGER, competed in the wrong sport, BECAUSE SHE DOES NOT QUALIFY TO BE A WOMAN, THAT IS REALLY RETARDED.

2. Drew Breezzy profile image81
    Drew Breezzyposted 7 years ago

Caster Semenya does look like a man

1. Anti-Valentine profile image95
      Anti-Valentineposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I thought so too, when I saw her/him on the news.

3. amolefi profile image59
    amolefiposted 7 years ago

As we all know looks are deceiving. Some men look like women, but that doesn't change the fact that they're men. Judging a book by its cover can sometimes appear rude if done openly! The so called professionals that started this need a lesson in manners. Just because Caster Semenya convincingly won, relevant professionals openly question her gender, how must she feel? How would you feel if you won/lost a race, and then soon after professionals decide to openly question your gender. I think their approach to these issues is of a childish nature. It should have been done discretely. Where were these people educated?

4. 0
    ralwusposted 7 years ago

Maybe she/he is both, you know?

5. amolefi profile image59
    amolefiposted 7 years ago

Well I'm not sure if I know, but I'll take your word for it. You sound like you know what you're taliking about.

6. 0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 7 years ago

Gender is not always either or. Both gender and sexual orientation exist on a continium. That's why the committe to determine "her" gender has so many people on it from so many areas. Given your statement I guess you don't know about this or just don't believe it.

1. sunforged profile image67
      sunforgedposted 7 years ago in reply to this

In athletics gender questions arent so difficult - does "she" have a male appendage and the associated testosterone and muscle that corresponds with it?

Then she shouldnt be competing against women

If she is a woman - then cha-ching..that should be a payday as thats quite an insulting claim - implying she is  a cheater and of a different gender! That cant be good PR for an athlete