jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

Wouldn't it be great if we could all get paid to lose?

1. Drew Breezzy profile image80
    Drew Breezzyposted 7 years ago
    1. dohn121 profile image87
      dohn121posted 7 years ago in reply to this

How does the MMA justify this?  It makes absolutely no sense.

Drew Breezzyposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Well Carano is the face of women's MMA so she is the one that brought in the viewers. But was she the champion? I don't know too much about MMA. She was undefeated I believe up until that point. It is kinda like a pro getting upset by an amateur. I still think it is insane. But I am sure they agreed to the sum before the fight, so "Cyborg" knew what her potential winnings would be but I doubt she knew how much Carano was being paid.

It is 125,000 dollars we are talking about! That is more than a years wage for general public.

Carano didn't even make it out of the first round in a five round fight!

2. Drew Breezzy profile image80

Cristiane Santos who won the fight received $25,000 which includes the $5,000 win bonus.

3. Michael Willis profile image77
    Michael Willisposted 7 years ago

As long as I could "live" and not have major injuries...lol, I could get paid for that!

4. profile image0
    ryankettposted 7 years ago

My favourite football (soccer) team gets paid to lose most weeks.

5. Drew Breezzy profile image80

She got paid 5 times as much as the winner! Talk about crazy.

6. Drew Breezzy profile image80

pretty violent stuff you have been warned

video of  the fight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNcW99_8RuQ

7. dc2004 profile image59
    dc2004posted 7 years ago

Look at the SI article again further down in the first fight listed under main event, the winner got $2,000 and the loser $70,000.  MMA is a sport where you get paid for what you have done in the past, more than for the current fight, tough way to make a living

Drew Breezzyposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yeah I understand that. All I am saying is it is pretty nice to get destroyed in a fight and get paid like that.

Cyborg had a only one career lost which happened to be her first match. So it was the 7-1 Santos (six by knockout) vs 7-0 (3 by knockout) Carano.

working