jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)

Sound off

1. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 7 years ago

So, let's hear who among us has experience with martial art/sport and related skills.

2. 0
    Ghost32posted 7 years ago

Mixed bag, but overall adds up to knowing at least one counter to any body part and/or less-than-a-bullet weapon thrown at me...and at least one way to use pretty much anything and everything as a weapon. 

With a user name like "sensei", presume you query from experience?

tksenseiposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I do, but the 'sensei' part is really from being an 'academic' teacher/tutor for many years.

1. 0
        Ghost32posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Ah so!! big_smile

So da na!

3. dohn121 profile image86
    dohn121posted 7 years ago

Funny, I learned Judo only because I felt that I needed to know a martial art because I'm Asian...I didn't want to disappoint lol

LOL! Good choice anyway!

4. 61
    badcompany99posted 7 years ago

I have watched the Karate Kid at least 6 times !

1. 0
      Ghost32posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Dang, BC, I thought I was doing good with 4!!

2. tksensei profile image60

I hope you realize that imparts to you a great responsibility.

1. 61
        badcompany99posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yes to watch Karate Kid 2 and Karate Kid 3 which I did, rub in, rub off, jeeeez I love rubbing smile

Now that's just going too far!

5. tksensei profile image60

No other wrestlers on board?

6. 0
    Ghost32posted 7 years ago

Well, my mixed bag does include a ground game.  Not Olympic level or anything--my high school didn't even have it as a sport.  But took a one credit college course in wrestling, finished second in my weight class (148 at the time), got a B instead of an A because the coach had picked me to win it and the other guy outsmarted me in the championship match (intramural tournament required for grade).  I may have forgiven him for that but am pretty sure I nursed a grudge for at least the next 40 years.

That said, that turned out to be the best one credit of instruction I ever took.  Saved me a number of times, especially those times when another dude wanted to throw his weight around but a fistfight would have been a touch inappropriate--such as maintaining pecking order in the Army.  And the time a college buddy took offense after hours of playing nickel ante poker through the night and put my teeth through my upper lip with a beautiful left hook (he was a lefty).  And a few dozen others.

7. tksensei profile image60

Gotta watch them southpaws! And for some reason I really like the fact that you could nurse a grudge for 40 years. That's commitment!

working