jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Marion Jones Goes To Jail and What about Steroids in the NBA

1. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 8 years ago

I saw an espn article that Marion Jones was on Oprah today talking about her steroid use and going to jail.  I've often wondered how much better do steroids make you.  How much higher can you jump, how much faster can you run, or in the case of Barry, how much farther can you hit the ball?

Two things.  One is it seems odd that she's going to jail and Barry hasn't - maybe he will.  Second, is we hear a lot about track and field, football, and baseball, but what about basketball. 

Basketball, professional or college, is one of those games where you play often enough that recovery is a huge issue.   Why isn't the NBA implicated more?

2. cheapbuys profile image79
    cheapbuysposted 8 years ago

I admire Marion Jones for at least admitting she did wrong. She sets a good example by accepting her punishment.  Barry Bonds.. that's another story.

1. elisabeth reid profile image78
      elisabeth reidposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Marion Jones ulitmately accepted responsibility as have many other athletes...Giambi and Pettit among the most notable.  From what I've seen, it seems that the fans are willing to forgive a mistake when it's owned up to.  It's when an athlete tries to blur the lines and deny responsibility that the fans take umbrage.

3. elisabeth reid profile image78
    elisabeth reidposted 8 years ago

Bonds hasn't gone to jail because he's still fighting the perjury charges.  He's not going to plea -- this one's going to go to trial.  He's got virtually unlimited resources and he's not going to cop to anything that might hurt his chances at the Hall; he (read 'his attorneys') will look for any and all loopholes and fine lines.  Hoooo boy.  It's going to be a circus with Barry as the clown in the center ring.  Marion Jones accepted a plea agreement in the end, I think.

As for the NBA -- I think you're right.  I'm wondering if their players' union has something written into their current contract about the testing process for steriods and other substances.    If that's the case, then when it comes time to renegotiate, things might change.  The heat is on in all the other professional and amateur sports, the NBA is going to be hard-pressed to hold it off.  I suspect it's only a matter of time.

4. PeteMaravichFan profile image63
    PeteMaravichFanposted 8 years ago

I think this last decade or so will just go down in history as the "steroid era".  All of the leagues, and associations were late in developing the proper testing procedures for controlling steroid use. Now everyone is aware of the issue - and they are trying to get on top of it.