jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

Larger market baseball teams. Fair or unfair?

1. rhamson profile image77
    rhamsonposted 7 years ago

With baseball teams competing to get the best players they can afford, is it fair that larger market teams can carry astronomical payrolls?

2. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 7 years ago

Hey rhamson,

I saw your post and that no one had responded.

First off, I like your question, because it's a legitimate question that constantly seems to go unanswered.

I don't think it's fair.

They talked about putting a salary cap on teams, but that opens up pandora's box and begs to ask so many other questions.

How to even the wealth of baseball evenly among teams isn't known? Sure, luxury taxes, revenue sharing and team official sales, is completely bias to each market base.

An example: Yankees have a customer base worth $10+ Billion and lets say, the Tampa Bay Rays has a customer base worth $200 Million. The disparity is disgusting.

But, don't expect them to change anything, anytime soon.

3. 0
    Maximus591posted 7 years ago

Salary cap.

Cap team payroll at $100m.

Allow each Major League franchise one 'superstar exception' whose salary would fall outside the permitted $100m cap.

Therefore, the New York Yankees set a team payroll of $100m. Alex Rodriguez is designated the 'superstar exception'. His $32m salary takes the final NY yankees payroll to $132m

4. 0
    sneakorocksolidposted 7 years ago

CUBs. Being one with big pockets but don't know how spend it.

1. coachsledge profile image59
      coachsledgeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Unfair I live in Pittsburgh now 18 loosing seasons but whats wrong with the Cubs?

2. fishtiger58 profile image82
      fishtiger58posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Being a die hard Cub fan for 40 plus years I couldn't agree more.

5. jobister profile image59
    jobisterposted 6 years ago

Definitely think it is unfair. The Phillies were able to beat the Tampa Bay Rays in the 2008 World Series because they were talented and higher caliber players were on the roster. Almost the same exact Phillies team lost to $211 million Yankees in the 2009.  Yankees can afford to have players with bloated salaries that may or may not produce. I definitely think it is unfair and players will continue to flock to teams that pay more. There needs to be a stop to this!

6. 61
    C.J. Wrightposted 6 years ago

Seems like where ever there is a union the salaries are out of controll.......
    Without a salary cap the limit is set by the owner. If the owner chooses to spend the money he/she too can have the best team regardless of market share....Sports is a luxury item.  Its also a business. Owners of sports teams generally do not/did not earn their wealth through team ownership.....

7. Oldskool903 profile image88
    Oldskool903posted 6 years ago

I truly think its unfair and there should be a limit on each team, but being a Yankees fan I can't really complain. Im looking forward to going to the 2010 parade cause the 09 one was crazy haha