Nfl Surprise Team to last &Biggest Disappointment

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

Still early in the NFL 2009 season. The early surprises are the Denver Broncos at 5-0, Cincinnati Bengals 4-1. I did expect Cincinnati to be vastly improved, but not this much by the victories they have acheived. Denver, well...beating Cincy was on a fluke play and the Cowboys (Cowboys are not all that this year), but N.E.....good win!

Question---Which of these two teams will continue in their winning ways?

I will take Cincinnati Bengals. They are real! Denver...I see them slipping some as the season goes by. Will learn alot about them next week when they play San Diego. I see the winner of this game winning the AFC West and the loser missing the playoffs. Bold prediction? Maybe...but I will go with it.

Biggest Disappointment of the NFL season?

Has to be Tennessee Titans!

I had predicted them to slip behind Indy in the division, but not in this way. They are winless and their schedule is not getting easier. A total collaspe as a team. This far of a fall off was not seen. I doubt they can salvage a winning season now.

2. dohn121 profile image83
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

Carolina is a definite let down too.  Will the original Steve Smith ( lol ) please stand up?

The Steelers, Patriots, and also the Ravens are all on shaky ground if you ask me...The first two are uncharacteristic of what they could and should be...

Denver and New Orleans are surprises thus far.  Realistically, I really do believe the Giants will beat the Saints in the Superdome.  We have the league's number one defense and also have the number one Pass Defense, allowing the fewest yards through the air (and this without Kenny Phillips by the way).

Michael Willisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

By what I have seen...count Ny Giants another SB!

1. dohn121 profile image83
        dohn121posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Geez, I hope so.  A Denver/Giants Superbowl would be like Superbowl XXI repeat (and of course hopefully with the same result) and a Manning Bowl would be ridiculous!  Brother versus Brother???  I know for a fact that Ron Montgomery called this before the 2009 season even began!

Michael Willisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Would love to see a Manning vs Manning SB! Think of all the hype, advertisements!!! It would probably break all TV records for viewers.
          And it is very, very possible this year!

1. R.Edwards profile image62
            R.Edwardsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Undoubtedly possible. Both the Giants and Colts are arguably two of the league's best teams.

My surprise teams thus far has to be the Broncos and Bengals. I was pretty sure Drew Brees and the Saints would be chasing missed opportunities from last year, more noticeably Dan Marino's single season passing record, yea, Brees has his eyes on that thing. The only surprising thing coming out of New Orleans was Brees going consecutive weeks without throwing a TD. However I think that streak will HAVE to end against the Giants, maybe even possibly one of the highest or highest scoring game this year!?!

I'm also pretty surprised that Cutler and the Bears look so damn good! After their week one loss to the Packers I wasn't sure, but I'm a Cutler fan and I'm glad to see he's coming into his own in Chicago.

Biggest Upset? Definately the Tennessee Titans, I mean who could argue that? The Steelers I think will drop the ball as the season progresses and become a late season surprise when they fail to make the playoffs or if they do edge in, offer no real competition. That light is fizzling in Pittsburgh and Boston if you ask me.

I think the Cowbills (as much as I'd hate to see) could pull off a game or two and re position themselves among the NFL's powerhouses again. Miles Austin could have Texas saying, "T.O. who???"

1. dohn121 profile image83
              dohn121posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't be so sure about Brees "Breezing by" the Giants for a plethora of TDs.  Not only is their defense the best in the NFL (210.6 per game) but their Pass Defense is ranked number one by far (104.8 yards per game).  Mind you, they're doing this without cornerback Aaron Ross OR safety Kenny Phillips who's on the IR!  Sure we did play the Raiders, Chiefs, and Bucs, but so did 15 other teams and they can't match us in the rankings.

1. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image73
                EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually the Raiders offense is ranked no. 32, the Chiefs are no. 31, and the Bucs are no. 28. So those 14 teams did pretty good against the Raiders, Bucs, and Chiefs. In the one game they played against a decent offense, the Giants gave up 31 points to the Cowboys. It'll be interesting to see what happens against the Saints.

2. R.Edwards profile image62
                R.Edwardsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, not saying Brees will 'Breeze' by the Giant's defense, but you gotta expect Brees to put up numbers. This is NOT a game in which the Saints will have the option to rely on Pierre Thomas running the ball and letting the defense hold out till the end. Eli will be slinging it all day and so will Brees, it's just gotta happen, otherwise the Saints will lose big.

I understand you are a big Giant's fan, but look forward to a high scoring game. The same went for Philly when the Saints faced them in week 2, against good teams you have to go above and beyond, especially when the opposing offense is a viable scoring threat.

Brees will throw at least 38 passing attempts in this game as I don't see the Saints' running game being much of a factor.

and to the Bills fan...mroricle1973, sorry man....maybe next year! lol.

3. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image73
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 14 years ago

The Cowboys are going nowhere but down. The Panthers are worse than I expected, but I expected them to be middle of the pack anyway. Pittsburgh is shaping up to be one of those teams that isn't very good but can spoil the party for some of those teams that are. Green Bay is going to be pretty crappy again, so they are in there. Tennessee is by far the biggest disappointment.

I gotta give credit to Denver. I picked them to be fighting for last place with Oakland and I've been waiting four weeks now for them to be exposed as a bad team. I don't see it happening at this point. The only team in their division that can even compete with them is San Diego and I think they can beat them, so they are a playoff team. The Bengals are a close second and Chicago is a little better than I thought they would be. We'll find out about the Giants this week when they finally stop eating cupcakes.

4. mroricle1973 profile image60
    mroricle1973posted 14 years ago

I agree with Cincy going farther than Denver, but I think a couple of other big suprises are Minnesota and New Orleans.  Minnesota has a pretty good team... not Great.. but the way Brett is playing has the whole team's morale boosted and with A.P.  They have a complete package...  Watch out for them in January if Brett can keep his stamina.. And N.O. they have had a offense with Drew Breez putting up mad points.. but now they have a defense that play well enough to win when Drew is not putting up a million points.  Even though I am a diehard bills fan (don't even start) I think Miami is the best team i the AFC East..  The record doesn't show it.. but I think their morale was crushed with that loss to Indy...  I think they got that morale back after last nights win.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)