jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Does anyone here give a puck

1. elisabeth reid profile image75
    elisabeth reidposted 8 years ago

about NHL?  All-Star game is this weekend and that's what got me wondering.

2. jormins profile image60
    jorminsposted 8 years ago

Has the NHL Season started yet?   (j/k)

The deceased Dollar Bill Wirtz made sure no Blackhawks fans would survive longer than him.  I can't remember the last time I saw hockey on tv or someone around here talk about hockey.

3. PeteMaravichFan profile image70
    PeteMaravichFanposted 8 years ago

Obviously my passion for hockey is evident, as I had no clue that the NHL all-star game was slated for this weekend. 

I don't know why the hell I just can't get into hockey....

4. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image73
    C.M. Vanderlindenposted 8 years ago

I  love hockey, but I could care less about the All-Star game. Even if my Red Wings are well-represented this year smile

5. helenathegreat profile image84
    helenathegreatposted 8 years ago

I love hockey, too.  My dog is named after my favorite Ranger (Petr Prucha).  Unfortunately, the Rangers have been seriously streaky and overall sucky this year despite their inordinate amount of talent.

6. elisabeth reid profile image75
    elisabeth reidposted 8 years ago

I dunno...I don't get much into hockey, myself; it's one of those things that's okay but I really don't follow that closely.  When I do, I enjoy it -- I like the speed and I like the constant motion of it.  The pace is great, if a little breathless.   I have noticed that most people, even if they do enjoy it, don't talk about it the way football fans and baseball fans (yay) and even NBA fans do.  Strikes me as kinda weird.  They'll talk about it if asked but, even when asked, they don't carry on to the same extremes as followers of other sports.  I think that the strike might have something to do with it, but I don't even recall a lot of hockey excitement (except for college hockey and when the Avs won the Stanley Cup -- around here, anyway) before that.

Thoughts, anyone?  Do you think it's because of the strike?  Or maybe because the only media attention it ever gets is for the nastiness?  Or do you think that it's because, in this country, if it ain't football, it doesn't count?

(yeah, I'm getting the NFL flu)

7. PeteMaravichFan profile image70

All valid questions concerning the inability for some to engage the NHL.  For me its the simple -
    I just don't give a puck.....

8. PeteMaravichFan profile image70

I think this pretty much explains why the NHL may have a hard time attracting mainstream fans...

Today 6pm CST.

I knew the NHL all-star game was supposed to be taking place (thanks message board)....

hummmm.  so I tried NBC first (thought they had a  contract with NBC). Nothing...

Actually they had the US Figure Skating championships on.  I knew that ESPN was a longshot
    but I just flipped on over.  Nope.  Mens college ball and Womens ball on the deuce......

Could it be that....naw...well maybe....YES the NHL All-Star game was being televised on the mighty VERSUS.  Outside of the hockey die-hards, how many of you can recite the channel of Versus on your local cable TV line-up?

US Figure skating on NBC, and hockey on VERSUS....not a good way for the NHL to be marketing its product.

9. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image73
    C.M. Vanderlindenposted 8 years ago

I couldn't agree more. I ended up watching it on CBC because I can't stand Versus. The lockout messed up a lot of things, including the quality of media coverage the NHL gets. The big media outlets, as well as plenty of the less-obsessed fans, moved on to other things during the lockout.

working