jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Magic Keeps Isiah Thomas off Dream Team?

1. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 7 years ago

This is pretty juicy from Magic and Birds new book.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4585983

2. Lady_E profile image81
    Lady_Eposted 7 years ago

That's a pity.

Some friends watch your back, some friends stab you in the back. I'd like to read the book.

3. Mike Lickteig profile image88
    Mike Lickteigposted 7 years ago

One thing Magic and Isiah have in common is their public persona, epitomized by the big smiles they flashed at a moment's notice.  The public images do not reflect the true Isiah Thomas or Earvin Johnson.  Johnson contracted the HIV virus due to his rampant sexual appetite.  Thomas' influence has been cancerous everywhere he has stopped, once his playing days ended.   

I haven't read Bird & Magic's new book, but it shouldn't be surprising to find that Magic went with the flow and didn't support Thomas for the Dream Team in 92.  Thomas wasn't liked by many of the players on that team, and Johnson probably went with the majority.  He might have liked for Thomas to have been there--but not enough to stick up for him. Remember, Thomas was the guy who said Bird was a star because he was white.  He's no angel.

Did the Dream Team need him?  Nope.  Johnson and Stockton were two of the greatest point guards ever, and Thomas wasn't a better player than they were.  Maybe Thomas wasn't left out--perhaps he was crowded out.

1. ShyneIV profile image60
      ShyneIVposted 7 years ago in reply to this

The funny thing is that people always thought that Michael was the one that kept Isiah off the team and now it turns out that it was Magic all along. It's interesting but then againnot completely surprising. People forget that Thomas was the leader of the biggest and baddest bullies that the NBA has ever seen: the Bad Boy Detroit Pistons. Let's not forget, Thomas is the same guy that made the Knicks a laughingstock because of his interactions with his employees (remember the court case?). I guess perhaps we should have known that other players had a thing against him.

2. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image92
      EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I'm sure Magic flashed a lot of smiles while being rampantly sexual.

1. Mike Lickteig profile image88
        Mike Lickteigposted 7 years ago in reply to this

yeah, I would guess you're right!  At least, one would hope being rampantly sexual would make you smile.

4. profile image59
    True Sportsposted 7 years ago
  5. profile image59
    True Sportsposted 7 years ago

working