Which is more conceited?

1. thirdmillenium profile image72
    thirdmilleniumposted 6 years ago

Two or three (but mainly the US) participate soccer and call it the WORLD series.   So do some 10 countries take part in  cricket tournament  and Call it WORLD cup. Which is more conceited?

1. hindleyite profile image59
      hindleyiteposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think the cricket World Cup is contested by every cricketing nation in that there are numerous qualifying 'stages' but only the ten or twelve best teams compete in the finals. I guess the authorities find it pointless that teams like Gibraltar and Jersey compete against professional international teams such as India and Australia because it would simply be too one-sided and not very entertaining, save the odd rare upset.

The World Snooker Championships always take place in Britain because that's where most top-level professional players come from, but there are Chinese, Australian and European competitors too.

In the end, I think it's just a name. Good point, though.

2. jobister profile image61
    jobisterposted 6 years ago

World Series of Baseball has been running for well over 100 years now. Meanwhile World Cup for Cricket only started back in 1975 so you be the judge. I agree baseball should be American Series or something but since no one outside of US is watching baseball anyway who is it hurting?