What make a boxer great?

Jump to Last Post 1-34 of 34 discussions (65 posts)
  1. ironking profile image58
    ironkingposted 14 years ago

What do you think make a boxer? His achievement or Fame?

1. profile image57
      ICEMAN84posted 14 years agoin reply to this

What makes a boxer great are is activities out of the ring. When I was younger I did not have much respect for Muhammad Ali. Then years later I discovered who he really was. He was a very generous man and gave of himself often.

Boxers in development could make much of them selves by walking in his shoes.

2. tksensei profile image60
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A good waistband.

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Preferably a bit high. smile

3. marinealways24 profile image59
      marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

An MMA contract!

1. tksensei profile image60

Oh, that's way off

1. marinealways24 profile image59

No. MMA is taking over. Fastest growing sport in the world. Night Night to boxing. lol

No, you got it backwards at best.

lol I think you just want to argue to get your rocks off, what and when was the last boxing match you watched?

You're missing the point. An MMA contract in no way indicates great boxing skill, but great boxing skill would be one useful attribute in MMA.

Got it yet?

Is a boxer well versed in jiu jitsu or just boxing? Which is more limited, a boxer or an mma fighter? Most boxers that enter mma do believe their boxing will carry over and get knocked out or submitted very early because they believe their boxing is superior, hence they feel they don't need a ground game. Do you got it yet?

Prime Example: Kimbo Slice

I win, you lose. Accept it. lol

You're either still missing the point, ignoring the point, or trying to start a different conversation altogether.

The question was what makes a boxer great, and you said an MMA contract. That is clearly inaccurate since few if any top MMAers have good, let alone great, boxing skills. You may prefer MMA to boxing, you may find it more interesting, but that does not change the fact that your comment was inaccurate. If anything, the opposite of your claim is correct. A skilled boxer, judoka, wrestler, etc. can be trained to become a successful MMAer but so far the opposite has not proven true. It doesn't matter that you personally prefer apples to oranges.

2. Coach Albert profile image60
            Coach Albertposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'll get in on this only once. Marinealways, you are saying that because MMA is coming into it's own, boxing will disappear. That's like saying that baseball and basketball will disappear because football is dominating the "ball" sports. Boxing is it's own discipline. I have competed in both and I can tell you that taking the MMA fighter's kicks and choke holds away so that it has to be a stand up battle, it becomes a much more challenging sport especially if you're not used to the rules. There's a place for both. And they are all sportsmen with heart. A contract doesnt make a great fighter, just a rich one. Although I train as a martial artist I have occasionally been bored to death by some of the MMA matches that just look like pathetic, albeit bloody, high school wrestling matches. (Two guys rolling around on the ground half naked with an occassional punch thrown here and there.) Again dont get me wrong, as a martial artist, I am stoked that MMA is making such a breakthrough! It's about time. And finally your humorous point wasnt really answering the kids question it was just being combative. He asked about boxing, not MMA. But I did get the joke...ha ha.

You didn't have to get so upset. lol I agree that both demand respect. If you have done MMA, you know there is an art to survive while rolling around on the ground. High school wrestlers don't get punched in the face and elbows. Legally anyways. Do you wish to argue that boxing matches aren't more boring than some mma matches? How many fights on boxing card compared to the number of fights on an mma card? Pay money for 2 or three fights or pay the same for 10 fights.

1. Coach Albert profile image60
                Coach Albertposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Heh, I wasn't upset. I might come off that way when making a point. And I've seen these online discussions go on for pages. Dont wish to argue at all. Anyway, we agree. So it's all good.

2. tksensei profile image60

That can most certainly be argued.

4. aware profile image67
      awareposted 14 years agoin reply to this

a belt

5. DogSiDaed profile image60
      DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well if he goes into the ring (the only square ring in the world) and knocks other people down a lot. tongue

6. Lady_E profile image62
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Achievement. E.g Not losing a fight.

7. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

that and stamina.

2. frogdropping profile image76
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

His talent, his ability to be the best in the game. Like anything really smile

3. profile image0
    Pacal Votanposted 14 years ago

His determination to be the best. And the hard work that goes with it. smile

4. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Work ethic and personal conduct both in and out of the ring big_smile

5. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

The ability to be punched in the head repeatedly and stay upright is a useful attribute. wink

1. emievil profile image68
      emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol oooopppps shouldn't laugh. We had a boxer who lost consciousness after his fight and he had to be brought to the hospital for a quick surgery on his head sad.

What makes a great boxer? His discipline, hard work, concentration, belief in himself and belief in God (sorry Mark, couldn't resist smile).

1. samsbr profile image39
        samsbrposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hardwork, concentraion, belief him self

2. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

6. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

humility and level headedness makes a great fighter, dont underestimate your opponent,

7. ironking profile image58

Pacal..i think u r right...his determination 2 bcome d best

8. R.Edwards profile image62
    R.Edwardsposted 14 years ago

Endurance, emotional stability, his 'fight' and speed...

9. Himitsu Shugisha profile image72
    Himitsu Shugishaposted 14 years ago

His or her understanding of the sport, their opponent and their willingness to engage their opponent without putting themselves in harms way. Keeping the audience engaged helps too.

10. ironking profile image58

that's a very funny answer tksensei...but maybe..lol

11. wavegirl22 profile image49
    wavegirl22posted 14 years ago

knocking the other guy out

12. Coach Albert profile image60
    Coach Albertposted 14 years ago

My answer is: Heart, courage, strength, speed, and skill. If you've never read the book "Rope Burns-Stories from the corner" By F.X. Toole you should pick it up. It will give you some perspective. Why the question Ironking? Are you competing?

You didn't like my answer?

13. profile image0
    Pacal Votanposted 14 years ago

I wonder how many of those who answered this question were talking about themselves.

ironkingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i dont know Pacal..just count

14. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Good manners and decorum?

1. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Boxing skills and good management is a plus.

15. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

The talent along with self discipline and a drive to overcome with a wee bit of luck. Intelligence also.

16. Clara Ghomes profile image61
    Clara Ghomesposted 14 years ago

I think boxer's achievement and fame are interrelated. so guess both plays a vital role in making a boxer great!

smile

yeah...but sometimes a boxer reached the top but he is not famous...or viseversa....yeah

17. profile image0
    seasoningposted 14 years ago

a girl i work with teaches boxing to children.  She has been explaining the world of boxing to me.... there is a lot more to it than i ever thought, still  not for me though, i would be hopeless at it

18. cynide10 profile image57
    cynide10posted 14 years ago

A truly great boxer has determination, has the support of the audience, showmanship, good technique, increases the hype surrounding them well (like Ali did) and ultimately entertains.

Ali may not have been the best boxer in terms of technique but he will forever be the most known and loved as the greatest boxer because he fulfilled all of the above criteria

yeah...cynide10...Ali is a great boxer..he will be remember forever

19. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

his buttocks lol

20. ironking profile image58

I cannot think a better one.....

21. EdwardO. profile image61
    EdwardO.posted 14 years ago

A great boxer is someone who has natural skill, a good work ethic and fights the best in the world.

22. ironking profile image58

His Attitude?

23. profile image50
    druhepkinsposted 14 years ago

I sort of put all together in a recent hub below:

http://hubpages.com/t/106f37

But what makes a boxer great is a combination of his record, his boxing ability and talent, his accolades, his popularity and social/cultural significance.

24. IntimatEvolution profile image68
    IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years ago

His achievement.  Look at Chad Dawson, he has great style, great work ethic, kind individual, family man, and the list goes on and on.... but is he famous?  No not really.  Is he a good solid boxer? Yes, with out a doubt.  Many boxers can have fame, (ie Mike Tyson,Mayweather) but it is what they are made up of that makes them truly famous and great (Dawson,PacMan).

25. profile image0

stamina big_smile

26. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

Good gloves.

27. profile image0

tight shorts big_smile

28. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

A good knockout record?

honestly i dont think sooo....

29. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Heart. It takes tonnes of heart. smile

30. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

His muscles.

31. profile image56
    iamasadlittleboyposted 14 years ago

A combination of skill, speed, power, heart and the mental steel to turn around a bad situation. As well as a combination of other things, mainly their achievements and who they faced, no point in being undefeated if you fought no body (Samson Dutch Boy Gym) and no point fighting the best if you get outclassed every time (Julius Francis).

HOOO.. I think or maybe you are right...

32. theirishobserver. profile image62
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

Mike Tyson....this man is god on earth....fantastic to watch..... smile

1. Sab Oh profile image56
      Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Have you been in a coma for the past ten years?

33. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

humility but never underestimate opponents like Manny Pacquiao

34. profile image0

his bum.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)