jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)

Serena Williams Fined $82.5K for tirade: Yahoo!

1. fishskinfreak2008 profile image34
    fishskinfreak2008posted 6 years ago

OK, Serena Williams threw quite a tirade, but this penalty is excessive.

1. 0
      ryankettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Is it? It is perhaps relative to her financial position? A $200 fine might teach you or me a lesson, but she probably spends that per day on hair treatment alone.

2. rhamson profile image76
      rhamsonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think she can afford it. It may make other people who make their living this way think twice about the image this kind of behavior sets for young athletes and the image of professional sports.

3. MikeNV profile image74
      MikeNVposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I saw the match.  Not excessive at all.  A Drop in the Bucket.  NCAA Football coaches get fined $35K for questioning refs publicly.

It's all relative to the amount of income they make.

4. 0
      cosetteposted 6 years ago in reply to this

i bet some fiendish people "reported" her roll wink

1. 0
        Justine76posted 6 years ago in reply to this

he he
        i bet they quit following her too.

5. DogSiDaed profile image60
      DogSiDaedposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I don't think it is. It's all relative. And remember, she's supposed to be a 'rolemodel'.

2. fishskinfreak2008 profile image34
    fishskinfreak2008posted 6 years ago

A sticky issue indeed. It shows us the phrase "Sticks and stones maqy break my bones, but words will never hurt me" is no longer true

1. DogSiDaed profile image60
      DogSiDaedposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It never was for a lot of people

3. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

Good, I'm glad.

4. jobister profile image61
    jobisterposted 6 years ago

82K is nothing for her, she made that much while she was being punished for her actions. Also I'm glad she was reprimanded for her actions because actions like that in public let alone national television should not be tolerated. There are millions of kids looking up to her and her actions have consequences whether she realizes or not. Hopefully the 82K would be spent on building tennis courts for girls.

5. 0
    Poppa Bluesposted 6 years ago

She threatened the lines-woman with violence! This fine is nothing to her. Keep in mind she was still allowed to compete in tournaments after that incident. Personally I think she should have been banned for some time from the tour, perhaps a year.

6. Coach Raidbard profile image58
    Coach Raidbardposted 6 years ago

I believe that the monetary penalties being imposed on Serena are inconsequential. Whether the amount is $50,000 or $500,000 the reality of the situation is that she is essentially buying her way out of culpability. I think that the best way Tennis's Governing Body to handle the situation would have been to suspend her from competing in the double's final the next day with her sister. The fact that they are fining her after the fact only further diminishes Women's Tennis as a sport that can thrive at all without Serena Williams image front and center.

7. K Partin profile image61
    K Partinposted 6 years ago

Not excessive at all. She should of been suspended and I wouldn't blame the judge if she filed a civil suit against her, if  not already. This type of stuff is unacceptable, especially for the kids who watch this so called "Role Model"!

8. 61
    tennisnutposted 6 years ago

Serena has changed the face of tennis in a very negative way. Not just because of this incident, but through-out the later part of her career. She pioneered the "come-on!". Anyone that's under 30 in the US knows that that translates to "is that all you got?!" very unsportsman like. Angry woman - getting angrier with age it would seem.