jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Roger Clemens on the stand

1. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 8 years ago

I saw a bit of Roger getting questioned today.  Wild.  It was very sensational with two men sitting side by side getting questioned and one is clearly lying.

The one question I wanted to hear is if Roger thought it was possible that he had been injected with HGH and didn't know it.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image69
      Ralph Deedsposted 8 years ago in reply to this

A friend who is knowledgable about Major League basebal observed recently that free agents are not tested for drugs under the agreed upon procedure and that Roger Clemens has been a free agent in more years than not during the period in question and, therefore, was not tested. This person has no doubt in his mind that Clemens is lying about his drug use.

2. elisabeth reid profile image78
      elisabeth reidposted 8 years ago in reply to this

No way.  He's going to know exactly what's going into his body.  He's a professional athlete and his body is his business.

2. jormins profile image60
    jorminsposted 8 years ago

I have to admit I'm down on baseball (basically I try to avoid it) but I could not stop watching this today.  I'm not a fan of Clemens but don't hate him either, but I think the whole Petite angle kills him.  How could Petite misremember so many times his interactions with his good friend Roger Clemens.  I think eventually that's what's going to be Clemen's downfall.  They are going to have to build a special wing in Cooperstown for all these questionable players.

3. elisabeth reid profile image78
    elisabeth reidposted 8 years ago

It's sad, what's happening to athletics these days.  And the messsage it's sending the young athletes is appalling.  It's okay to cheat because, since everyone does it, it isn't really cheating....just don't get caught.

Clemens is simply another in a long line of athletes under the gun for using performance-enhancing drugs.  What I'm afraid of is that this is just the tip of the iceberg.  We've seen, among others, Bonds tumble...Palmiero...Neifi Perez...Clemens...Pettit...Giambi...Landis...Jones...how many more will follow?   I'm glad that the various leagues and commissions are looking into the issue because of the role-model status of so many of these people, it just makes me sad.  Saddest of all is that the ones denying it the most vehemently are doing it, I suspect, not because of the impression they're making on young people but because they're worried about their status in the Hall and their various records.