jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Redskins Contemplating Portis Release...

1. R.Edwards profile image79
    R.Edwardsposted 6 years ago

The Washington Redskins' radio show, ESPN's 980 discussed the [unlikely but] possible trade of RB Clinton Portis following a lack of production and injuries in his recent years with the Skins. During his tenure with the ball club, Clinton Portis has undergone different character traits and personalities to even having a run in with Reskin running back great, John Riggins about his recent play with the team. Some fans in the D.C. area have questioned his devotion and committment to the game in itself. The question came up about his possible trade after an interview on Tuesday (I believe) where he sounded skeptical concerning his future with the Washington Redskins. Callers for the most part seem to agree that his time should be up.

Also, the talk concerning Jim Zorn and Jason Campbell's future arose as well. What are your thoughts on the matter?

Also, going into the last four games of the season, who are the players who should be trying to audition for starting positions and who should be concerned about their positions on their current teams?

Give your thoughts on this and other related issues.

2. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image93
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 6 years ago

Jim Zorn will probably get a second shot. Campbell is gone as soon as they find a replacement, maybe sooner depending on the money situation.

I don't think Portis was going to be back next year anyway and last I heard he sounded like he was thinking about retirement. They aren't getting  a team to trade for him. Too many miles on those tires.

1. dohn121 profile image87
      dohn121posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, I agree.  The Skins used him way too much.  I don't think that he ever wanted to be a Redskin in the first place.  The Broncos made out like bandits getting Champ Bailey.

I think what will happen is that Portis will retire and then next season, he won't sign with anyone--that is until training camp is over and then he'll declare himself available to sign on with a team that either lost their star RB for the season or are struggling with their current one...Does this remind you of someone you know?

3. R.Edwards profile image79
    R.Edwardsposted 6 years ago

Redskins' Vinny Cerato and Owner Dan Snider were reported to have gone to scout Texas' Colt McCoy and Notre Dame's Jimmy Clauson too!

I'm not sure about Clauson but McCoy seems like a good fit. I'm a Campbell fan, but as hard as it is for me to say this; I must. He doesn't fit well with Zorn's philosophy and the Redskins' personnel...I think he'd be a killer with the Raiders or Panthers. He's a helluva QB, great arm, but just the wrong fit (at least this season) for the Redskins.