jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Ron Zook WON'T be fired by Illini after finishing 3-9

1. fishskinfreak2008 profile image32
    fishskinfreak2008posted 6 years ago

If this is the case, why was Al Groh fired at Virginia?

2. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image94
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 6 years ago

He wasn't at Illinois.

1. fishskinfreak2008 profile image32
      fishskinfreak2008posted 6 years ago in reply to this

That's not the point. A 3-9 record is pathetic. Zook got special treatment.

1. 0
        A Texanposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Special treatment? You know all schools are not the same don't you?

3. mel22 profile image59
    mel22posted 6 years ago

money? with the record he has overall and in-conference he don't have much negotiating room and Illinois probably can't afford negotiating for a coach with a good record. Illinois always been a second tier team in the big ten although michigans downfall last few years has put others in the spotlight. !@#$ never a third tier team but usually not strong enough to contend with wisconsin , ohio st.

4. 0
    cosetteposted 6 years ago

smile good reporting, FF! keep up the good work. wink

5. kingis profile image77
    kingisposted 6 years ago

The reason Ron Zook is not getting fired is because of AD Ron Guenther.  Guenther for some reason likes Zook even though many alumni and boosters would be glad to see Zook go, myself included.  Zook is a good recruiter but terrible as a gameday coach.  I have watched too many Illini games where he has made some crucial mistakes that have cost the team.  The coaching is awful. Tell me why you would fire an Offensive Coordinator who lead your team to average 35 points a game yet keep your co-Defensive Coordinators who just plain suck?  I am not proud of this move at all.  Zook should be gone.  How many coaches keep their job when in five years have a record of 21-39 and one winning season?  Also, I have seen Juice Williams, QB of the Illini, regress since the Rose Bowl season.  Williams may catch on with an NFL team but he went from a QB with potential to Rex Grossman like career.  Trust me, I hate having to use the Grossman reference.  If the Illini are to improve, they must improve at the Head Coaching position and Ron Zook is not the answer but the problem.