jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Football or Soccer?

1. SuperSpurs profile image61
    SuperSpursposted 8 years ago

Hi all

Created 3 hubs my favourite on Jermaine Jenas but the fact you call it soccer and we call it football set me thinking.

How many other phrases around this sport are different in the USA. Any you can list would certainly help my marketing efforts.

1. elisabeth reid profile image77
      elisabeth reidposted 8 years ago in reply to this

As far as soccer goes, that's the biggest one.  There is the difference between American football, Australian-rules football and soccer, though.  All three are football, all three are different games.

2. philips profile image60
      philipsposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Thats the only two i no of unless its a slang word.As a tottenham hotspur fan i say spurs is the real name for football lol

2. The Indexer profile image79
    The Indexerposted 8 years ago

It always seem strange to me that Americans love to use words and phrases that are so inappropriate. Using football for a sport in which the foot hardly ever meets the ball is one example, as is "touchdown" when the ball is NOT touched down!

I suppose you could add "bathroom and "restroom" to the list. What on earth is wrong with "toilet" or "lavatory" (although to be strictly accurate, those are both euphemisms as well)?

However, to answer your question as regards football (i.e. soccer), I have seen references to "the eighteen" for the penalty area and "zone defence" (whatever that is!)

3. starrwriter profile image61
    starrwriterposted 8 years ago

I would say soccer and at the risk of repeating the why, I will invite you to my Hub "Sporting Unity: Achieving World Peace Through Athletics" to find out.  It's an interesting concenpt I think you will either love or hate.