jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (15 posts)

Has the NFL Pro Bowl Become Irrelevant?

1. Tom T profile image83
    Tom Tposted 6 years ago

Seems like a good idea to fill in the week between championship week and Superbowl with the Pro Bowl but does anyone really care about this game?  I can't remember the last time I watched it.

2. wavegirl22 profile image48
    wavegirl22posted 6 years ago

I bet alot more people will tune in to the game this year. . one last game before the Superbowl  .. I agree its a great idea to put it there. . I know I will be watching!

3. 0
    A Texanposted 6 years ago

Has it ever not been irrelevant

4. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 6 years ago

we dont get the superbowl in Ireland anymore, some station got the rights to it, used to get it in Channel 4 but no more...loved it.... its 8.15pm in Ireland...

5. Michael Willis profile image78
    Michael Willisposted 6 years ago

The Pro Bowl is not what it used to be in my opinion. It used to have players chosen by their peers. When the NFL went to allowing fans to be in the selection it became more of a "popularity" process. Players deserving are left out each year now.
    Pro Bowl before Super Bowl eliminates players who are in the Super Bowl. I wish they would go back to selection by the NFL players.

6. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

I don't care when it is played. To me it makes no difference. I'll watch it, unless it's a complete blowout. Then I'll change the channel or turn off the tv. smile

7. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image93
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 6 years ago

It's more irrelevant than it ever has been. If Peyton Manning gets to the SB, eight of the 16 starting QB's in the AFC will be pro bowlers between injury replacements and unavailability. Half the starting NFC team will be unavailable if the Vikings beat the Saints.

They need to move it back to Hawaii and schedule it for the offseason and more than one week later.

8. jobister profile image61
    jobisterposted 6 years ago

Yes it is very irrelevant in my opinion. Whats the point in the end? a free trip to Hawaii? which these athletes can more than afford. It does not achieve anything. Make it relevant during the season or the next season maybe then it will be more competitive (similar to MLB)

9. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 6 years ago

Yes, it happened about 40 years ago.

10. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 6 years ago

I watched it every weekend, from beginning to end, it is a time when some friends will go to the house and I cooked for everybody, socialization time for me, and just loving the game, GOTTA love the banging bodies, where you can hit anybody without anybody charging you for assault, hehe

It is still the number one TV show which is watched by almost 100 million people all over -- the world-Super Bowl, and the price of commercial is still incresing minus inflation 3 Million US dollar for 30 seconds and an alsmost 50% increase of product sales when the commerical is aired on that day

11. 0
    mtsi1098posted 6 years ago

I wish they would move the Pro Bowl to mid season like every other sport...Nonetheless if I am not working or at a hockey game or grilling...I will be watching

1. jellydonut25 profile image59
      jellydonut25posted 6 years ago in reply to this

You could almost GUARANTEE that nobody significant would play in it if it were mid-season. Who would want to risk an injury in the middle of the year? If a guy tweaks his ankle here, and he's out for 6 weeks, it's no big deal...but mid-season, that'd be a HUGE deal

12. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 6 years ago

13. Sara Tonyn profile image60
    Sara Tonynposted 6 years ago

I haven't watched it in years.

Now if they changed it to a hot dog eating contest, I might watch. lol

14. kingis profile image78
    kingisposted 6 years ago

I think the game is irrelevant.  Look at how many players who get named to the Pro Bowl pull out of the game.  This year, it does not make any sense playing it the week before the Super Bowl. None of the players from the Super Bowl teams will play in this with the possiblity of getting injured.  Plus, the game is pretty boring to watch.