jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (16 posts)

Have you ever tried Sport Shrimping?

1. MorrisN profile image60
    MorrisNposted 7 years ago

Have you ever tried Sport Shrimping along Florida's Space Coast and if so how successful were you?

I've seen dip net shrimpers with full 5 gallon bucket limits of xlg shrimp during a good run but nothing like that so far this year.

1. Randy Godwin profile image92
      Randy Godwinposted 7 years ago in reply to this

We seined at Jekyll Island once.  A few more shrimp and we would have had enough for a cocktail.  I've had good luck with a cast net before, though!

1. myawn profile image60
        myawnposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I  love the shrimp on the space coast they are really big ones. I have been shrimping there many times. I love them steamed or grilled.

2. doodlebugs profile image76
      doodlebugsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

My buddies and I used to go sport shrimping near Rockport, TX with a small trawl toed behind an 18' flats boat. It was pretty hit and miss, sort of like in the movie Forest Gump when they caught lots of shores and trash, but when you did find the shrimp it was very rewarding.

2. lovelypaper profile image66
    lovelypaperposted 7 years ago

No I haven't but I love shrimp!

3. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 7 years ago

No, I just buy them ready smoked, yummmmm!

4. Randy Godwin profile image92
    Randy Godwinposted 7 years ago

We just go to Amelia Island and buy them from roadside vendors.  The huge influx of imported shrimp has really hurt the commercial shrimpers there.  10 lbs. for $25.00 and better tasting than the imported shrimp.

5. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 7 years ago

I've seined numerous times on Jekyll Island, GA, at the southern tip of the island and in the tidal creeks. We've had varied luck. The time we tok Randy, we caught hardly anything. (He was bad luck!) But sometimes we've caught coolers full of large shrimp and mullet. I'm actually writing a hub about seining.

6. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 7 years ago

This sounds like fun do they do this in Texas? I've used my cast net for bait but never caught real table shrimp.smile

7. cjmo75 profile image60
    cjmo75posted 7 years ago

That sounds like loads of fun.  I love shrimp, so it would be a bonus to make a little money and eat loads of shrimp too.  Maybe I'll get to try this someday.

MorrisNposted 7 years ago in reply to this

The shrimp are just  now starting to "run" in the Indian River at Titusville, Fl.
      The "old timers" and regulars who frequent the causeway bridge have just started catching decent quantities of Jumbos.
      Farther north around Oak Hill in the intercoastal waterway, they catch more shrimp but much much smaller than in the Lagoon.
      All you need is a shrimp net, some lights, and a 5 gallon bucket.

8. manlypoetryman profile image68
    manlypoetrymanposted 7 years ago

You call Sport Shimping with nets Sporting? Real sport shrimping is spear-fish ("gig") 'em ! Now that's Sporting!

Takes along time to get enough to make it worthwhile though...just like Crawldads.

MorrisNposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Never tried gigging a shrimp, but I've tried grabbing them with chopsticks! 
      That's really sporting!

9. profile image0
    Pezzyposted 6 years ago

Use a otter trawl net from behind boat or from walkway on outgoing tide. Can make one out of netting, a pvc square frame with floats on top,to ropes on top to anchor onto boat, and draw string at the bottom which you pull to lay the net flat when bringing back in. Extend netting about ten feet in cone shape with a pocket made near bottom with string around net to prevent shrimp from scooting back out.

10. AskAshlie3433 profile image58
    AskAshlie3433posted 6 years ago

No, just buy them from wherever.

11. optimus grimlock profile image54
    optimus grimlockposted 6 years ago

Yes as a boy with my 3rd cousin Forrest, Forrest gump! lol

working