Parents v coaches

1. 60
    Ball2Dayposted 6 years ago

This weekend I attended an AAU Basketball tournament for ages 8 - 18. My grandson was a particpant. There were some outstanding athletes on display this weekend. But the worst performance I witness were the behavior of parents.
       I have been active in athletics competition throughout my life as an athlete, parent,coach and now grandparent. The question that I consistently keeping asking myself is why parents put their child on a team then try to coach that child.
       I witness parents giving players (their child) instructions opposite of the coach's. Parents jumping up and down and yelling statements that made no sense. I watched parents run up to the coach and give advice, and get into timeout huddles univited.
       I believe parents have one decision do I want my child playing for this coach or not. Once you have made the decision to let him or her play then support the coach. If you disagree with what he does either remove your child or discuss it with the coach at the appropriate time. (Not immediately after a game)
       The question to parents who should your child listen to for instruction. So parents cheer loudly, strongly, but most importantly in a positive way.

1. Sab Oh profile image59
      Sab Ohposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Very simple. Lots and lots of people are idiots. Having children does not cure them of this condition. Any public activity gives them the opportunity to display the extent of their affliction.