Where will Barry Bonds play next?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 16 years ago

Curios if any teams are trying to sign Bonds.

2. Lady Luthi profile image61
    Lady Luthiposted 16 years ago

I highly doubt that. No one wants him.

3. elisabeth reid profile image66
    elisabeth reidposted 16 years ago

He won't.  No one is going to pick him up -- the only possibility (and that's a remote one) is that an AL team might take him as a DH.  Otherwise....nope.

He's a liability, not an asset.  The disadvantages (injuries, age, infirmity, inability to play defense, slow, team distraction, clubhouse invasion, looming legal issues in the form of a federal indictment, not to mention he isn't much of a team player to begin with since it's all Bonds, all the time, lots and LOTS of $$$$$) far outweigh the advantages (ummmm...I'll get back to you on that).

1. DJ Funktual profile image77
      DJ Funktualposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Possibly the Albequerque Prison League.

4. elisabeth reid profile image66
    elisabeth reidposted 15 years ago

*snort*

Okay...so it wasn't terribly sporting of me to laugh at that, but....dayum.  And wouldn't he be more likely to land in Florence...at Supermax?  He'd have altitude to match his attitude.

5. B4UPLAYBALL profile image59
    B4UPLAYBALLposted 15 years ago

San Quentin Penal League?

6. crashcromwell profile image67
    crashcromwellposted 15 years ago

I couldn't believe my eyes a while back when I read that Bonds' agent was considering filing a claim of calusion against the owners. Yeah, in this case I think the owners are on the same page. No one wants him for the same reason there won't be the usual summertime sweepstakes for Roger Clemens to come out of retirement.

Bonds got what he wanted. He broke the record. Now I hope he's done, so it will be that much easier for someone else to come along and break his record in a few years. I'd even be happy with A-Rod doing it because it's a disgrace that someone like Bonds should hold the record.

7. drummer boy profile image59
    drummer boyposted 15 years ago

a lot of talks, I heard the mariners were interested but ichiro threw a fit not sure how much of that is true or not?

8. elisabeth reid profile image66

I've heard the collusion stories, too...but no attorney in his or her right mind is going to advise him to follow that course of action.  In Bonds' case, the adage that the only bad press is no press doesn't apply.  Plus, his attorneys really have enough on their plates without having to deal with petty ego crap that won't go anywhere. which is exactly what all the colusion stuff is.

There are a few teams that have been mentioned lately...I read another one tonight but I can't remember which one it was...but that's been going on ever since the Giants decided not to re-sign him.

Nothing's going to come of it.  He's a walking liability.  And an expensive one, at that.

9. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 15 years ago

At the beginning of the year, I thought he'd play, but I doubt it now.

10. crashcromwell profile image67

If he were going to play anywhere, at the beginning of the season I expected him to wind up as a DH for the Yankees. They don't seem to care much about making waves. Now, I think the gig is up.

11. elisabeth reid profile image66

Yankees weren't gonna sign him after they dealt with the Giambi fallout.  And, at the beginning of the season, there was the mess with Pettitte and Clemens.  And Giambi testified before the same grand jury Bonds is accused of perjuring himself in front of, so there might've been some friction.  Hell, seems like there's friction between Bonds and just about anyone -- it just might've been a bit more intense with him, Giambi and Pettitte on the same team.

He's toast.

12. profile image57
    R.Gatesposted 15 years ago

hopefully for Bud Selig's daughter.... since Bud can't own his former team because he's such a good Comish.... yuck I don't know what's worse the fake home run record of the fake Comish... both are bad for the game..... oh, Bud, my bad, you knew nothing of the steriod use in the marketing of your game...  ummm maybe we'll remember the "Chick's dig the long ball" ad campaign.... that had some juice to it big fella...
    Bonds is done... Selig should be also....
    Just one mans bitter opinion

13. elisabeth reid profile image66

I tend to agree that there's something fishy with Selig...the whole business with the Brewers just kinda...soured me.  Well, that started it.  I've got a laundry list of issues with him.

What do you think about the 12-second pitch enforcement and telling managers they have to get to the mound more quickly...all to pick up the pace of the game...while, at the same time, there's the whole instant-replay business which will slow it right back down again.  At least there's some drama involved with a pitcher or a manager's walk to the mound.  AND...without any of the suggested changes being implemented, the average duration of a baseball game is still well under the average duration of an NFL game.

Yes...I have no life.  I actually did the math a few nights ago.

14. profile image57
    R.Gatesposted 15 years ago

Like you I have a laundry list with this guy.. I hope they don't open Pandoras box with the replay because once it opens it will never close... the human element is what makes the game..
    Remember this is the same guy that gave us a tie in the All Star game.... and then comes back with the brainstorm idea of the winning league in the game getting home field advantage..
    nice fix....
    all the while turning a blind eye to steriods with the rest of the owners as they fired up the marketing machine... then played dumb when Canseco rats everyone out....
    Bonds will probably never play again, We should only be so lucky if the same were to happen to Selig...
    yep... still bitter

15. crashcromwell profile image67

Yeah, I've never particularly felt good about Selig, because he came from the ranks of the owners, which means that he will always do what is good for owners. The notion that Selig is not pulling the strings in the Brewers' organization is about as laughable as when Boss Steinbrenner had to give up controling interest in the Yankees when he was caught gambling....go figure, Pete Rose gets a lifetime ban, and the Boss didn't.

I, too, thought it was curious that Selig chose to link the All Star Game outcome to the team that gets homefield advantage in the World Series. Like there's any connection?! You don't think he did that, maybe, to prop up the television ratings of the All Star Game, since it suddenly means something?

16. crashcromwell profile image67

I felt compelled to revisit this thread. Did y'all hear the latest on Bonds? He's willing to play for the League Minimum and donate the salary to charity, essentially meaning he would be playing for free. So now the question becomes, which team would take on his baggage even if it's for free?

Yankees are a possibility. Bonds would fit in in New York. And if Big Papi turns out to be out of action for a while, it may be good for the Sox to have a bona fide basher to back him up. Still, I doubt Theo and Tito would be interested in him.

17. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 15 years ago

I heard this on the radio as well.  His agent says they he doesn't have any offers.  It does seem a bit odd.  Heck.  The Giants could use him for the league minimum.  At least in SF he brings in fans.

18. crashcromwell profile image67

I heard about it on ESPN. It seems to me that the whole thing is a ploy by Bonds' agent to try to build a case for collusion against major league baseball. If no one is willing to pay him league minimum, it would be easy to say that baseball teams are colluding against him. The problem with that, in my opinion, is that owners should not be expected to shell out one dime for any player they don't want on their team. And let's face it, guys like Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, etc. are just plain bad news. Collusion rules were established to prevent owners from banding together to suppress salaries, but Bonds is trying to use this as a means to blackmail MLB into letting him play as long as he wants to (or is able to, if he winds up in Federal prison.) The man has no shame.....

I think I feel a hub coming on......

19. elisabeth reid profile image66

Obviously the man has no shame.  None of it's his fault.  It's everyone else and it will always be everyone else...in his view.

The only thing he does have is an ego.  He doesn't play for love of the game -- he plays for love of Barry and Barry's numbers.  If he loved the game, he would have bowed out and retired when all this hit the fan.  If he respected the game he would have come clean -- and probably been forgiven.  Look at Pettitte.  Look at Giambi.  Look at any number of players who have admitted to juicing and are still playing.  Fans can forgive just about anything except disrespect and dishonesty.

1. crashcromwell profile image67
      crashcromwellposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I have no use for any of them. It helps that guys like Pettitte, Giambi and Clemens all have ties to New York....maybe that's why I'm hoping the Yankees pick up Bonds. He'd be a perfect fit in the Evil Empire.

20. joep profile image61
    joepposted 15 years ago

I 2nd .. Send all of the scum their way .. If you can win one buy one . smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)