What if there was no pro sports?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)
  1. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

In the movie baseketball all the sport fell apart because of greed, imagen if that was real??

1. Me, Steve Walters profile image79
      Me, Steve Waltersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is almost there!

2. kcreery profile image61
      kcreeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pro sports are entertainment.  We would probably watch more tv.

2. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

No pro sports?  There would be a much higher unemployment rate!!  lol

3. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

it's kind of hard to say because believe it or not, athletes and owners of these sports teams wouldn't be the only ones affected by it if pro sports were to fall apart.  for one, you'd have to consider the people who work at the stadiums at the concession stands, ticket selling, security and etc there.  if sporting events were to become too expensive for owners to keep their teams, then the chances are the use of the stadiums would go down, so they would have to lay off the people who work at the stadiums, or reduce their hours considerably to conpensate the loss.  revenue from these sports would obviously hit the economy pretty hard as some cities rely on their sports teams to generate their economy like Cleveland with the Cavaliers.  As it stands right now, LeBron James alone is carrying that entire cleveland economy.  once he's gone, then you know that city is going to take a hit in more ways than one. 

however, on the bright side, state taxes wouldn't have to raised to compensate every time a team needs a new stadium.  However, I think in the immediate future, the economy and everyone in the world would take a huge hit if pro sports were to be gone completely.  in the long run though, i think it would only make our society better as we would probably grow to appreciate other attributes to admire in people outside of athleticism, like art and creativity and such.  i could be wrong, but it's just my opinion

4. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

The entire fan base of every sport would either find something else to amuse themselves(just to spend the money) or save more money.

The overall health of the Economy, in it's present condition, could not support the falling of all professional sports.

Do realize: the professional athletes are the RICH in the country, and when government is unable to pull the taxes they need from them, as it has in the past, that source of revenue is going to be much lower. Thus, less money government is going to receive...this would drive taxes up on everyone, regardless.

There is even a remote possibility the fan base would end up spending the money they try to save on taxes needed to be paid.

So, in the end, the continuation of the recession would no longer be and would become a depression, unlike anything seen.

Just a thought.

1. optimus grimlock profile image59
      optimus grimlockposted 13 years agoin reply to this

very true!!! I dont think it will happen in the next 50 years but who knows.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Anything is possible. I do not know either, but I'm pretty sure it isn't going to be anytime soon. However, the salaries the players are being paid, need to level out and quit increasing every single time another player gets a raise.

I understand competition, but no player(including Tony Romo - my cowboys) is not worth the money they are paying them.

The unrealistic nature of the players coming out of college, only being established at college level, should not be making more money than the veterans of 10 years. It's absurd.

So, that has to change and now that there is no collective bargaining agreement in place for next season, the owners can get control over salaries. And, set them on a statistical and length of time playing, so as to give appropriate salaries that do not break the bank.

Otherwise, it could have much much much sooner. lol

1. Rafini profile image82
          Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

the owners can get control over salaries, but will they?  hmmph, I have doubts about it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)