jump to last post 1-15 of 15 discussions (19 posts)

Blown call costs perfect game

1. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 6 years ago

Unbelievable that this call happens with one out to go in what would have been a perfect game. 

Here's the video of the call.  Clearly out.

2. kingis profile image78
    kingisposted 6 years ago

I saw the replay, that poor pitcher was robbed.  MLB should include more replay.  Heck, replay was good for the Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Finals and they were correct on those calls.

3. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 6 years ago

They an amendment that there putting in place to reverse the call. Jim Joyce the umpire apologised to Galaraga after he saw the replay, this is something that never happens. So they were both good sports about it and I have a greater respect for both!!!

4. Bruce Bostwick profile image74
    Bruce Bostwickposted 6 years ago

That was a surprise honestly.  I thought Donald was out and Detroit had a perfect game.  At least the umpire did admit he was wrong unlike other ones.  They probably wouldn't admit no matter how many times they saw it.

5. 61
    foreignpressposted 6 years ago

Yes, the call was blown. But that is the nature of the game if not all of sports. Is it fair? Of course not. But human failings are part of competing. This would be a great hub: "The impact of blown calls on sports." Olympic runners have fallen, passes are dropped, skiiers fall at the finish only to lose. This is sports.
       But this is also the Era of the Bailout. Let's see, who has been bailed out in the past 16 months? Banks, Wall Street, big business, homeowners, even entire countries (Greece). And now, it appears, baseball pitchers. The call should stand and be accepted as the nature of the game. We all know it was a bad call. Only the record books and succeeding generations of fans won't know.
       So here's what we do. Put an asterisk after the record book entry indicating it could have been a perfect game but for human error. We've all made them. Except for me.

6. wyanjen profile image86
    wyanjenposted 6 years ago

It's the human element of the game.

This is why I didn't get my contest hub published, by the way. I couldn't turn off the game. lol

Here in Detroit, the consensus is to let the call stand. It shouldn't be overturned. (and it won't be).

Armando and Joyce both showed much class that I think this result actually turned out more positive than if the call was made correctly.

I don't see where the national media picked this up, but in a post game interview locally, Joyce was absolutely in tears. As was Jim Leyland. I've never see grown men cry like this lol

And Armando took it all in stride. He's a great guy.
    GM has given him a spanking new Camaro to soften the blow.

Also, I don't know if anybody saw this nationally, but before today's game, Armando and Joyce met at home plate and shook hands. It was pretty neat.

all's well that ends well. wink

7. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 6 years ago

they gave him a corvette

8. mrpopo profile image86
    mrpopoposted 6 years ago

I don't really know the importance of a perfect game in baseball. Does it give you more points or something?

9. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

Whatever, he will be in the sports history books.

I felt really bad for the umpire when I saw him crying the next day. The pitcher was a really good sport about it.

1. 61
      foreignpressposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I could forgive all transgressions for a Corvette.

1. optimus grimlock profile image60
        optimus grimlockposted 6 years ago in reply to this

me 2.

10. timcameron1 profile image62
    timcameron1posted 6 years ago

He will be more well known for this non perfect game than if he actually got the perfect game.

Young players can learn from this pitcher on the way he acted (class act) to the situation. That is how I will remember him by.

11. wyanjen profile image86
    wyanjenposted 6 years ago

yep, Corvette. I was listening to a call-in sports talk show when I heard Camaro.

1. 61
      foreignpressposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I could forgive all transgressions for a Camaro.

12. Derek D profile image60
    Derek Dposted 6 years ago

It's time for instant replay in baseball.
    Terrible calls like that could be avoided, too bad a perfect game went down the drain............... cool

13. 0
    Gravy Trainposted 6 years ago

My article was made for this topic! Check it out http://hubpages.com/hub/Why-Major-Leagu … ant-Replay

14. CYBERSUPE profile image60
    CYBERSUPEposted 6 years ago

I was watching the game and jumped for joy when the ball was hit and knew it was a sure out to preserve the perfect game,-- then fell back into my seat in utter disbelief at the umps call.

15. 60
    calebt721posted 6 years ago

Unbelievable umpires this season. Phil Cuzzi blew a call last month too.