jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Damned Lakers

1. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 6 years ago

Anyone else tune in to game 7 of the NBA finals last night at the STAPLETON CENTER in Los Angeles?
    Which just happens to be the home of the LA LAKERS, who were vying for the title against their longtime nemesis the Boston Celtics?

Obviously these are two very well-matched teams.
    The final game could have gone either way -- and looked for the first 3 quarters like it would go to the Celts.

And then the FOULS began. And the FOULS continued.
    And continued.
    And continued.
    And were so friggin' blatant.
    And they were called in favor of the Lakers and against the Celts.
    When I last looked at the free-frow count it was
    17 for the Lakers
    4 for the Celtics

Perhaps deliberately getting yourself fouled is a "legitimate" strategy in basketball. Hey -- it's a whole lot easier to sink two free throws from the line than one basket, isn't it?

To me,watching Pau Gasol in "action" was reminiscent of the old days when Shaquil O'Neill used to dominate the court with his size, tripping fouls just because he could.

To be fair, there were some good "non-foul" calls during the game. And the Celtics blew waaayyy too many shots.

However, I can't help but feel that without those double-digit free throws, the outcome would have been different.
    And I can't help but feel that had the final game been in BOSTON rather than LA, we might not have seen quite so many Lakers free throws at all!

1. Great Wide Open profile image60
      Great Wide Openposted 6 years ago in reply to this

PLEASE READ MY HUB ON THE LAKERS VS CELTICS, I NOT ONLY AGREE WITH YOU BUT YOU MIGHT FIND MY TAKE ON THE STERN-STYLE SCREWJOB IN L.A. INTERESTING AND FUNNY AT THE SAME TIME.

CORDIALLY,
      STEVEN RANDALL

2. leeberttea profile image60
    leebertteaposted 6 years ago

http://givemetherock.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/laker-girls.jpg

Still gotta love the girls!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/images/04/04/celtics_clicks.jpg

3. katiem2 profile image60
    katiem2posted 6 years ago

Meh, Whatcha gonna do?  smile

4. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 6 years ago

Ha ha!
    So are you saying the Celts are BIGGER BOOBS than the LAKERS?
    lol

5. mikelong profile image82
    mikelongposted 6 years ago

I disagree with the original premise that the Lakers were getting more foul calls in the fourth quarter..

Fouls had been called on both teams plenty throughout the game, including many phantom fouls...

The Celtics got themselves into foul trouble early...and, when looking at the point spread from quarter to quarter, the Lakers outscored the Celtics in all except the first quarter..

The Lakers were jittery early, but they held the Celtic early fury, kept them from running away, and steadily cut them down...

It is that simple..

I will be at the parade...

6. MikeNV profile image77
    MikeNVposted 6 years ago

Lakers definitely won at the line.  But what are you going to do?  It happens all the time.

On one play that Bryant got Whistled for a foul against Ray Allen they replayed.  You could actually see him grab Allen around the waist and hold him back.  That didn't draw the foul.  The hack a second later did.

The NBA is foul central... beating, pounding, etc.  It's way so many in the International Game have trouble adapting. So much of the NBA is about getting beat on every night.

But in the end it just doesn't even matter.  It's only a game for the wealthy.

What does matter however is how classless the fans were that destroyed private property afterwards.

working