jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Can anybody beat the Diamondbacks?

1. duanksta profile image60
    duankstaposted 8 years ago

Does anybody else feel like the season is already over? I am not an Arizona fan, but how much better can their rotation get? And when they do get a bad pitching start like Johnson the other night, they pull off an 8-7 win anyways. Luckily I have Webb and Scherzer in my keeper league.

2. elisabeth reid profile image77
    elisabeth reidposted 8 years ago

That's the thing about baseball.  They might be hot now, but 162 games is a lot of games.  They'll cool off.

1. duanksta profile image60
      duankstaposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Im sure they'll cool off, but not enough to not make it to the playoffs, and possibly the world series. But, as you mentioned, a lot can happen in 162 games. After all I made a monster trade 2 months ago to get Tulo as my ss and now he's out until at least after the all-star break.

3. DJ Funktual profile image88
    DJ Funktualposted 8 years ago

When it comes to playing at Chase Field, the Mets simply own the place, winning for the 12th time in 13 games in the past four seasons.The lineup went bonkers vs. the D-backs, with Jose Reyes and David Wright falling just shy of a cycle apiece and Ryan Church driving in three runs.

NY Mets (15-12)
    Won 1 
    NY Mets 7, Arizona 2   
    Today's Boxes 5/2/08

Arizona (20-9)
    Lost 1 

May 2, 2008
                  1  2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   R  H  E 
    NY Mets 3  1   0   1  0    2   0   0   0    7 12 1
    Arizona   0  2   0   0  0    0   0   0   0    2  7  0

Reyes,SS    5  3  4   0    0    0     0   .275
    Church,RF   4  1  2   3    0    0     1   .324
    Wright,3B    5  2  3   2    0    1     1   .297
    Beltran,CF   3  1  0   0    2    1     2   .204
    Alou, LF      3  0  1   1    1    0     0   .333
    Delgado,1B  4 0   2  1    1    0     2   .210
    Casanova,C 3  0  0   0   1    1     4   .263
    Castillo, 2B  4 0  0   0    0    0    5    .247 

Totals         36 7 12   7   5   4    15   

a-Grounded out for Maine in the 7th. 

2B: Reyes (6, Owings), Church (5, Owings), Wright (11, Owings).
    3B: Reyes 2 (5, Owings, Cruz).
    HR: Church (4, 4th inning off Owings, 0 on, 2 out),
    Wright (5, 6th inning off Owings, 1 on, 2 out).
    TB: Reyes 9; Church 6; Wright 7; Alou; Delgado 2.
    RBI: Church 3 (22), Alou (1), Delgado (13), Wright 2 (25).
    2-out RBI: Church; Wright 2.
    Runners left in scoring position, 2 out: Castillo; Beltran 2; Delgado.
    SF: Church.
    GIDP: Castillo.
    Team LOB: 8.

SB: Beltran (3, 2nd base off Medders/Montero), Reyes (7, 2nd base off Owings/Montero).

E: Wright (6, fielding).

4. elisabeth reid profile image77
    elisabeth reidposted 8 years ago

I dunno...Mets have been a disappointment so far.  They were s'posed to come out like the D-backs have -- but it's been one thing after another.  They were s'posed to run away with the division from Opening Day...and they're behind the Phillies.

Granted, they're not far behind, but they are behind.

It's early yet.  Lots still to happen.  At this point, trying to make a guess is just that...a guess. 

God, I love baseball.

1. DJ Funktual profile image88
      DJ Funktualposted 8 years ago in reply to this

if so, please come by my HUB about the season and we'll break it down.  The 2008 New York Mets Season of Redemption is the title.  The one I just finished for the month of April is amazing if I do say so myself.

I even made a korny video for their "should be" theme song in this the final season at Shea Stadium.

As far as them storming out the gate, every season is different.
      Alou & Pedro & El Duque all a No-Show so far.  Alou's back and MARK MY WORD...Omar is going for it all leading up to opening of the New Stadium next year.   Imagine what they could charge for the reigning Champs!?   Ouch!

The entire problem with the Mets this season is that THE BULLPEN namely Jorge Sosa, Scott Schoeneweis & Aaron Heilman have been awful.   

I'll betcha HEILMAN is moved (because he could also start somewhere) to Pittsburgh for Xavier Nady who
      1) was a Met,
      2)  is a solid guy in the clubhouse who the players loved
      3) Can spell the Aging and pending Free Agent Delgado at 1st Base.
      4) Tears up Left-handed pitching which any who knows our team will tell you is our Achilles Heel.

5. 60
    RobTposted 8 years ago

First off I want to say Pedro Martinez was to be leaned on heavily. This isnt the 2000 Pedro anymore. Also what is wrong with Delgado? He used to be a flat out beast. Arizona looks good right now with a nice mix of hitting and pitching. Webb,Haren, RJohnson, Max Sherzer...thats a tough rotation in my opinion. I like the Mets though. They were my fav to meet the Tigers. Im a Tigers fan..many jumped off the bandwagon after the slow start. We have to understand this is a 162 game season. Many peaks and valleys. We are only like 30 games in. In my opinion The Dodgers will make some noise in the end too.

1. DJ Funktual profile image88
      DJ Funktualposted 8 years ago in reply to this

What is wrong with Delgado?  I believe OUR WHOLE TEAM is hitting below .200
      Delgado who finally just started showing signs of life had been below .200 and dropped BEHIND newcomer Ryan Church in the Batting order.

Bat speed and fast balls my friend...they've ended better careers than his.

You gotta admit that is not a statement that you'd make if you saw him everyday like I do.

Beltran and Castillo are also NOT HITTING this year either.

FREE AGENTS bah! 

We could still have Mike Jacobs playing first instead of trading him in for Delgado's old ass.
      We also traded Brian Bannister (a young starting pitcher for A Reliever in the minors with control problems AND NOW shoulder problems too.) Why?  Is El Duque's presence really that important.  He was a prima donna in his heyday across town and everybody knew it.

Seen Brian Bannister's record over at KC this year?