jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Has Anyone Seen The Real Andruw Jones

1. B4UPLAYBALL profile image22
    B4UPLAYBALLposted 8 years ago

Andruw Jones signed an $18 million contract with the L.A. Dodgers.  What a bargain!
    Batting about .120 with 1 home run and 5 RBIs.  Its gotten so bad that Joe Torre used Jones as a pinch-hit in the 9th inning last Wednesday, with the Dodgers losing, 12-0. Not a spot for a 5 time - All Star!

2. elisabeth reid profile image78
    elisabeth reidposted 8 years ago

I hope, for everyone's sake, that his bat heats up -- and soon.  For what it's worth, I believe it will.  While his slump is extreme, it happens -- particularly when sluggers switch teams.  There's a *lot* of adjustment going on and that can wreak havoc with a swing.

He'll push through it.  Soriano was only batting .181 (or something like that) -- brought it up to .295 -- in a week.  Cooled off a little again, but it's a long season and it tends to be cyclical.

Things'll change.

1. Mike Spain profile image59
      Mike Spainposted 8 years ago in reply to this

He had a bad season last season as well, that is why the Braves didn't resign him. Last year he had a .222 batting average 26 homers and 94 RBIs a big decline from 2006.

3. DJ Funktual profile image86
    DJ Funktualposted 8 years ago

As a lifelong Met fan, I've been watching Mr. Jones for a good long time now and all I can say is this...
    HE DOESN'T GIVE A S#!t !!!!!   He seemingly hasn't since facing the Yankees in the Series his rookie year.

Atlanta knew it.  That's why he's gone.  The Money you guys are paying him is luda too.  Good luck with Joe though.  He is a class act.

4. PitchingHELP profile image60
    PitchingHELPposted 8 years ago

I used to be a HUGE Andruw Jones fan growing up, so to see his performance this year is just disappointing. What it comes down to is that he made all his money, and now he doesn't care too much for his performance anymore. He came into spring training weighing in at almost 250 pounds. If you watch video or see pictures of Andruw in his prime with the Braves, you could see that he is in top physical condition at around 190 pounds of muscle. Being a pitcher myself, I wouldn't be as comfortable knowing that I have a 250 pound center fielder taking charge of my outfield defense.

5. elisabeth reid profile image78
    elisabeth reidposted 8 years ago

250 is arguably too big for any position.   Hopefully once he gets through this knee surgery, he'll improve, but...I'm not going to hold my breath.

I'm not a fan of his, but I hate to see any player push his career too far -- to see them go from the top of their game, down to a place where they sit on a free-agent list for months and months and only get signed if a team's really hurtin' for one reason or another.

But it's happening more and more...and it saddens me.