jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Dustin Johnson and the 2010 PGA Championship

1. kingis profile image77
    kingisposted 6 years ago

I do not know how many of you watched the 2010 PGA Championship from Whistling Straits in Wisconsin but how many people think Dustin Johnson was screwed out of being in the playoff due to grounding his club in a "bunker"?  By the way, this is the same "bunker" people were standing on watching the tournament before Dustin Johnson hit his drive on #18 in that position. Below is a link to watch the footage for yourself.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image88
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

I saw it, and it seemed that the situation was a little fuzzy-- but the reports say that the ruling was posted prominently and pointed out to the participants prior to the start of the event. Apparently the rule was established because just such a situation had occurred previously.
    Too bad for the golfer, but he did seem to take it in stride. The way he handled the situation bodes well for him-- and I'm sure he will get a lot more attention in future events.
    Seems like his caddie should have been on top of the situation.

1. ross670daw profile image79
      ross670dawposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I believe you are correct, and as well as the caddie, the accompanying rules official should have been more involved. As i understand it, the official in question said he was held up in the crowd, unable to get to Dustin and his caddie to assist with a ruling.  But hey, that's golf and Dustin showed great composure in dealing with the situation.

3. 61
    C.J. Wrightposted 6 years ago

Can you ground the club in a hazzard? No. Who is responsible for following the ground rules? Each player. In short, no, he was not "Screwed" out of a playoff.