jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Red Sox - The New Evil Empire?

1. B4UPLAYBALL profile image19
    B4UPLAYBALLposted 8 years ago

you think the Red Sox are becoming the new "Evii Empire"?
    There payroll is up there with the Yankees and they don't seem to lose anymore!

1. crashcromwell profile image79
      crashcromwellposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Damn you B4UPLAYBALL - no sooner do you start talking about the sox not losing, they go on the road and they are looking much more human! Reminds me of the Celtics lately.

2. crashcromwell profile image79
    crashcromwellposted 8 years ago

As a die hard Red Sox Fan, let me offer my thoughts on this subject:

A) In the past 8+ decades, we've won 2 World Series, while the Yankees have won 27.

B) Our payroll is high, but not as high as New York, and I think I read that even Baltimore had passed us into second place this year.

C) I do love the fact that the Yankees have not won a world series since the 20th Century.

So are we the New Evil Empire yet? I think not. After we've won a couple dozen more championships we can talk about that.

Now, you want to talk about the Patriots? I'm ashamed that my good ol' Patriots are starting to behave a lot like those damned Yankees!

3. knolyourself profile image62
    knolyourselfposted 8 years ago

A's sweep.

4. molej profile image59
    molejposted 8 years ago

I don't think they will ever be "The Evil Empire" that will always be the New York Yankees for me smile

I am not a Red Sox fan by the way.

5. crashcromwell profile image79
    crashcromwellposted 8 years ago

I used to think that if I was lucky, the sox would win the world series once in my lifetime, and it would probably be in a year when no one would predict they could. Why? Because if they were predicted to win, and they did, people might actually think they could win it two times in a row!

Obviously, that scenario did not unfold, since there were a couple other champs in between our victories. But now I have a similar feeling about the likelihood that the sox could actually win so many championships that we could actually approach the level of those damned Yankees.

So I agree with the sentiment that the likelihood of the Sox ever usurping the title of Evil Empire away from the Yankees is slim to none (but then......I've been wrong before......)

6. B4UPLAYBALL profile image19
    B4UPLAYBALLposted 8 years ago

I think the new Steinbrenners will continue the Yankee "evil empire" legacy by spending tons of money on the ballclub.  But you gotta love that!  Only problem is that you can't buy chemistry!!!!

1. crashcromwell profile image79
      crashcromwellposted 8 years ago in reply to this

That's definitely true. That's one of the reasons I think the Yankees made a big mistake letting Joe Torre go. He did a great job keeping egos from clashing. Francona does a pretty good job that way, too, although I'm a little worried about what happened in the dugout between Manny Ramirez and Kevin Youkilis the other night.

working