jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Which lubricant should I use for my bike chain?

1. 59
    Coolkaranposted 6 years ago

I have a Cannondale Touring bike which I recently purchased for weekend cycle races with some of my colleagues. It’s about two months old now and I’ve noticed that the chain gets stuck sometimes when I’m in the middle of a sprint. Do I have to get a heavy oil-lube like the ones mountain bikers use?

1. Pearldiver profile image87
      Pearldiverposted 6 years ago in reply to this

No.... Your K-Why Oil will do the job hmm
      But make sure you use the correct roll-on protection for your pedals hmm 
      You know what they say about mountain men and their choice of lubricants! yikes 
      I think those that don't prefer to use Lard go naturally! yikes big_smile

2. earnestshub profile image87
      earnestshubposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I would simply replace the chain.
      A chain that is pre-lubed will not seize up in one spot like this.

You can boil your old chain in the proper grease in your spare time and see if it improves. smile

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago

...hmmmm....don't know...I have a mountain bike and a road bike...maybe it has something to do with your climate too?...I used to ride my mountain bike everyday and never had 'chain' issues and road my road bike for longer 'road' treks and never had problems...I live in a moist climate....or could be the chain.  If it is only a few months old, the place where you purchased it should really take a look at it, especially if you only ride it on weekends for say, 40-60 km trips.

1. 59
      Coolkaranposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hey SomewayouttaHere,

Thanks for the reply.

Actually i am not using it regularly , I only use it  on weekend to  take a race with my colleagues. so, it happens because of I am  not using it regularly ?

should i use it regularly? If i used regularly then can i  overcome from this problem?

3. 0
    ralwusposted 6 years ago

Ask this fellow, he's a semi-pro:

1. 59
      Coolkaranposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hey ralwus thanks for the reply,

I will ask Micky Dee.

4. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 6 years ago

Here 'bouts we use hog renderin's

5. 0
    ralwusposted 6 years ago

that will work OK til the dogs smell it big_smile

1. tobey100 profile image60
      tobey100posted 6 years ago in reply to this

lol lol lol

Sorry, didn't think far enough ahead.

6. timorous profile image92
    timorousposted 6 years ago

I've always used WD-40.  I just spray it on liberally and wipe off the excess. Since it's a liquid lubricant, it doesn't leave a thick film to attract dust and dirt like most oils do.  I'm sure there's other products that work at least as well, I just haven't tried them.

Sounds like you might have a defective chain, or a bent tooth on one of your sprockets.