jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)

Nadal wins career grandslam

1. vanchen profile image86
    vanchenposted 6 years ago

Don't know how many tennis fans we have here on HP, but for those of you who are out there... what do you think?

He's the second youngest to do it, and the first since Laver to win French, Wimby, and US in a row.  He's now on pace to beat Roger's record of 16 slams (that's assuming Roger won't win anymore, which i think he will).

1. 0
      klarawieckposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It's been a great year for Spain! OLE!!!!

2. LakeShow T profile image79
    LakeShow Tposted 6 years ago

You certainly have to give Nadal his props. He has been about as unbeatable as anyone has ever been when healthy over the last couple years. I do have to slight him a little in terms of the competition there is in this era of tennis. I've said the same thing in regard to Federer. It's really unfortunate for those guys because it is not their fault that Tennis has not been what it was in the 80's and 90's in terms of the depth of quality players. Personally, I have been amazed with Federer and how dominant he had been until Nadal took over the reigns of dominance in Tennis. Now Nadal is doing the same thing. Neither of these guys were beatable in their lower-mid 20's. I think Federer is now past his prime and I don't see him winning more than one, maybe two more majors, although I'd like to see him hold on to his record. As for Nadal, if he can stay physically healthy, I think he will break the record down the line. That is a big "IF" though.

vanchenposted 6 years ago in reply to this

What I want to see is a federer - nadal final at the French again.  If Federer could beat him there, then he would solidify himself as being the greatest.   If not, and Nadal continues to roll, then perhaps not.

3. Joy56 profile image60
    Joy56posted 6 years ago

My husband is mad into any sport.  He admires this man so much.... it is unlike him to take to a person in the way he has with Nadal.  He has been talking about him for a long time now.  My husband loves the humility of the man, and cannot believe how good he is at his sport.  I think he is handsome, er Nadal and my husband of course

Nadal is one of the most likable figures in all of sport, no doubt.  Not surprised your husband admires him so much!

2. 0
      Richard Stephenposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Nadal is that rare combination of great talent and great humility.  I too admire that.  Federer is the same.  That's partly why I enjoy it so much when they face off against each other.  A good guy is going to win either way!  Of course, I'm still pulling for Nadal!

Let's hope we can see some more of their epic finals next year.

2. richtwf profile image60
        richtwfposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Absolutely agree - Nadal is one of a rare breed of sportsmen who displays great talent and humility. He is an excellent role model to any aspiring young sportsman.

4. 0
    TopUniverseposted 6 years ago

To break the Federer record Nadal needs another 7 grand slam but it has not been easy.

Still Nadal has stuff to do.

1. richtwf profile image60
      richtwfposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Agree - I think he's certainly got the potential to overtake Federer's record. It all hinges on whether he can pace himself and keep himself fit and free from major injuries.

5. sid_candid profile image60
    sid_candidposted 6 years ago

It was a great win from Nadal. It is fascinating to see Nadal compete with Fedrer though this was not the case in this US Open Final. Hope these two keep playing tennis for many more years so that fans can get to see most fascinating display of raw talent on tennis courts around the world.

6. vanchen profile image86
    vanchenposted 6 years ago

Nadal also just secured the number one ranking for the end of the year.  Let's hope Fed can get it back; he was only a couple weeks away from beating Sampras's record for weeks at number 1.

7. almurray profile image88
    almurrayposted 6 years ago

Nadal is awesome. He has it all.

Just got to look after them knees and he could become the best ever.

8. karhubpages profile image60
    karhubpagesposted 5 years ago

Nadal is really a great tennis icon.  He still long way to go to beat Roger Federer's Record (It will takes at least 2 to 3 years).  If Nadal stay fit until he has lot more chances to beat Roger's record. 

Roger still playing awesome tennis.  There is no doubt in that.  It's a matter of getting the winning momentum.  Definitely he has lot more chance to win few more.