NFL Football Week 1-Biggest Disappointing Teams

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)
  1. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 13 years ago

Week #1 of NFL Football is always a wild weekend. Teams lose that should win easily and teams that should lose win football games. It always happens.

In this year's week #1 Gameday kick-off...which teams disappointed the most?

Here is my list:

#1-San Francisco 49'ers lost to the Seattle Seahawks. I was totally shocked at how bad the Seahawks dominated the Niners.San Francisco is the consensus team to win the NFC West. But after this game, I wonder how many games they will win. Alex Smith had better get it in gear!

#2-Dallas Cowboys- what else can be said about this game. The internet blogs, radio shows, TV talk shows have beaten down on the 'Boys all day. lol Dallas was not prepared and it showed!

#3-San Diego Chargers-This team just cannot win football games at the beginning of the NFL season. Shouldn't be surprised, but this is a game the Chargers should win!

#4- Atlanta Falcons- I know that Pittsburgh has a good defense and home field advantage, but with all the hype about how Atlanta is ready to challenge the New Orleans Saints this year...the offense was horrible Sunday.

Your thoughts on Week #1.........

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

well i think it's too soon to tell, as we've seen teams in the past like Tenesee and San Diego themselves start off a season poorly, then only to end up getting really hot around midway through the season.  So I'm not counting out anyone over one game.

I think you can add Cincinatti onto that list, as they should've beaten the patriots.  Something tells me that unless that team gets out onto a hot streak, you know it's only a matter of time before T.O. explodes all over that team and turn the organization against Palmer and the coach.  Trust me, it's going to happen.  Unless Cinci can be one of the most dominate teams all season and win the super bowl, then you can bet they're going to have problems.

As far as your other picks you did mention, I'll try to comment on each one as I can.

1.  San Francisco-  I completely agree that the 49ers are a good team, but i never trusted Alex Smith.  To me, he's always been over rated.  Therefore, it doesn't surprise me that they lost to the Sea Hawks.

2.  San Diego- Again, it seems like they do this all the time.  Start slowly and then finish strong, as you even said.  I wouldn't worry about them, as you know they're going to be in playoffs when its all said and done.

3.  Falcons- Your right, they should be better this year than they were last year.  However, you have to remember that the qb is still fairly inexperience and might suffer a bit of a sophomore slump, as defenses are now fully aware of what kind of qb he is. Where as last year, he had the luxury of surprising defenses with what he could do.  This year, he's not going to have that same advantage.  Thus, it's going to get harder.  Plus, its like the old saying goes, Offense gets the glory but defense wins the games.

4.  Dallas-Well this one I can totally agree with you with on here.  No offense to the Redskins, but Dallas was supposed to OWN this division hands down.  Unlike previous years, I expected the division to be a lot weaker and primed for the Cowboys taking.  Why?  I'll gladly explain this.  One, the Giants are merely a shadow of what they used to be without a long deep threat at receiver with Plaxico Burress gone. 

The Eagles aren't going to be a dominant team until Kolb fully grows into his role at qb.  Which might be easier said than done, since it seems Andy Reid is now in love with the concept of interchanging qbs and offenses from the west coast to the wild cat.  instead of just letting kolb grow into the role.

The redskins, no offesne to them but I doubt seriously McNabb is going to make a difference on that team.  Seriously, if it wasn't for the Redskins defense, they would've lost that game, and even then they still gave up a lot of yards to the Cowboys.  McNabb was supposed to make that offense a helluva a lot better and he didn't.  Hence, if they play like that against other teams like the Saints or whatever, then they'll lose for sure.

Bottom line, the Cowboys have the most depth and most talented team in their division and possibly the nfc.  What happened to them never should've and they should be ashamed.  All I can say is, if they continue to play like this all season, then it might be time to get a new offensive coordinator.

2. LakeShow T profile image74
      LakeShow Tposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Michael, you beat me to the topic--At least somewhat. I was just going to post a topic about how many of the supposed upper-tier teams fell far short on their belling on the opening week.

It was indeed a wild week 1. It was apparent to me that most teams just were not ready for the season to begin, including many of the winning teams. Granted, there were a lot of match-ups between elite and very good teams, so I think things will fall into some kind of normalcy as the season progresses. Here would be my list:

#1- Indianapolis Colts: I had the Colts at #2 on my Rankings. The Colts have traditionally mopped the floor with the Houston Texans. This time around, they relied solely upon Peyton Manning to win it for them. 57 pass attempts. Wow. That tells me that they played no defense, their running backs did not show up, and the receivers were not making plays.

#2 - Minnesota Vikings: I had the Vikings at #3 on my Rankings. I did expect a rough beginning being that Favre has not had the time to gain chemistry with the receivers due to his late arrival in camp and the offensive line is learning to play together. I also knew that playing the Saints at their place again was not going to bode well for them either. I had no idea they would struggle to the tune of 9 points. They averaged 30 last season. They could not move the ball whatsoever. The Receiving core was downright awful and did not even appear to be of the NFL caliber. The receivers could not get open, which forced Favre to have to force plays. That's something that never happened during last year's magical run.

#3 Dallas Cowboys - I did somewhat think the Redskins were going to win going into that game because I think they are much improved and they were playing at home. However, the Cowboys probably looked the worst out of any of the highly-regarded teams in week 1. Mistake after mistake after mistake. There were many teams that were not ready to play this weekend, but I think the Cowboys take the prize of being the least ready.

#4 Atlanta Falcons - I agree 100% with Michael's assessment. The Falcons failed to meet expectations last season, but got by on excuses about Michael Turner's health and so forth. This year, they have garnered high expectations once again and there are no excuses. Especially when you lose to a team that was not a playoff team last season and was playing with their 3rd string QB.

Losing teams I am not putting on my list for different reasons......

Not a surprise to me: San Diego Chargers. I got a lot of hate mail for having the Chargers rated at #10 on my NFL Power Rankings.  I'm sorry, but that is not the same team that has been successful over the last few seasons (because of their weak division) and they lack in the coaching department. In fact, I only have them at #10 (and not lower) because of that very weak division they play in. They will go on to win a lot of regular season games and then lose in the first round of the playoffs.

Jets: I know they lost 10-9 in what you think would be their type of football game--albeit to a great team in the Ravens--but I did not see the game, nor have I seen the highlights yet so I can't comment any further on the Jets.

1. LakeShow T profile image74
        LakeShow Tposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I forgot to mention the 49ers. I would not have them on my list of disappointments either. The 49ers are viewed as a strong team, but that's almost solely because of their weak division. They play with the Seahawks, Cardinals, and Rams. Much like the Chargers, even if they do go on to win their division, it does not mean they are going to be a great team.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)