Basketball: USA Wins Gold Medal in World Championships

1. LakeShow T profile image80
    LakeShow Tposted 6 years ago

Does anyone have any thoughts? This went somewhat unnoticed over the weekend with the NFL season beginning, the hunt for the MLB playoffs, the PGA Golf Playoffs, and everything else.

Personally, I had my doubts as to whether the U.S. could win every game. They were basically playing with their B/C list players and did not thoroughly dominate in more than a few of the games. Kevin Durant obviously stepped up and carried a huge load and will be one of the top 3 players in the NBA for many years to come. Lamar Odom and Chauncey Billups were also big with their championship experience. Regardless, it is also clear to see that the rest of the world has caught up to the U.S. in basketball, and have for a while now. Although I still do not understand it, the days of the blowouts are long gone. This was their first World championship Gold Medal since 1994. That's a profound fact. It goes to show that playing a team game like a team prevails over overwhelming talent in many cases. I also think it helped in this particular tournament that the US did not have to play against the likes of Spain, Greece, and Argentina. With all of that said, I still do think that the US will win the 2012 Olympic Gold when Durant joins the likes of Kobe, LeBron, Wade, Howard, D-Will, CP3 and the rest of the 2008 team that figures to participate again. The other Nations will also figure to have their top players playing as well.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 6 years ago in reply to this

US team is a strong contender next year at the Olympic -- that's for sure. Durant and Kobe et al will make a difference...
      They beat the Turkey team easily this time at the FIBA World Championshop, a young and promising US team, that's it,

I heard the news about this last weekend and I was glad they won.., YOOHOO!

Thanks for posting Lakeshow!